Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

parboil jalapenos for ABT?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I made a double batch of ABTs to have to snack on during the week. I've noticed that in warming them up in the microwave that the jalapenos are softer and not crunchy. In fact I like them better. I wonder if a quick parboil of say 1 minute in already boiling water might do the same trick for those ABT I plan to serve hot right off the grill. Any eggperiences out there?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    RRP,
    How long / at what temp do you normally cook your ABT's for. I generally cook my for 1 hour at 350 degrees which makes the jalapeno's very soft. No crunch to them at all. No par boil required.[p]Mr Beer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Mr Beer,
    I have been following this recipe and go 30 minutes at 350 direct using a grill extender.
    I also posted this query elsewhere and have gotten mixed responses from those who do & don't parboil. Think I'll try the parboil next batch. I've also heard there is some cooking device specifically made for ABT so that toothpicks are not needed. Anybody got wind of those things?

[ul][li]ABT recipe[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    RRP,
    Yep! Got one for my birthday. Haven't used it yet but I will for sure. The make it in the same town where The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is known for, La Grange, Texas.[p]Go to: http://www.irondesert.com/[p]They have some really neat stuff there. Mine is first class metal. [p]Never tried doing a link before. Hopes this works.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA