Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wild turkey

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on bagging a gobbler over the next few days and was wondering if anyone has BGE experience with smokin' one. They are considerably leaner than supermarket turkeys. [p]Here's to a successful hunt...

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tractor,
    I have shot several wild turkeys (drank a few too) but never did one in the Egg. I have done Mr/Mrs Butterball several times with great results. The wild bird should be about the same but will tend to be a bit drier. The Egg retains an amazing amount of moisture so it should turn out well. You could also inject some juices in the breast to help retain even more. [p]Go easy on the smoke unless you like it heavy, the wild bird has a bit more taste to start with. I envy you - call if you have left overs!![p]Tim

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Tractor, sorry, but I've only had the kind that comes in a bottle. :)

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Tractor,
    I've done both on the Egg! No real problem. I would suggest you brine it first. I did 3 of them w/o brine, then my daughter got me on to the brining reutine. Makes a world of difference! There are some simple brines floating around on the forum or if you have the book "Smoke & Spice" it has some basic brines! Or if you want to e-mail me, I'll e-mail you back what I've used on both domestic & wild birds. I use pecan wood as the "smoke". It gives a mellow flavor that can't be beat![p]Good luck, and good hunting![p]Dr. chicken

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Tractor,[p]When you put old Tom on the grill cook him with his back to the sky just like he runs. All the fat in wild birds is on their backs. Next lay lots of bacon strips across him back and cook it just like any other store bought kind. Brining is a good way but if you only get one or two birds a season you will not want to experiment I'm sure. No disrespect to other suggestion. Stick with this old time method.[p]If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward