Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza disaster

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I blew it. Tried to cook a pizza with one of those already made for you fresh pizzas that you just add the sauce and your toppings to. I had my egg at 400, preheated the pizza stone also. I checked on the pizza 7 minutes into cooking and it looked fine, not done just yet I thought. At 12 minutes the bottom was burnt to a crisp, couldn't even get it off the stone. Need some help!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    hottub2,[p]1st guess would be that you only had a pizza stone in use, but you need to tell us the setup you used. I like to get a dome temp of 550-575 deg and use either a layer of firebricks or a plate setter & a pizza stone that is not overly preheated. Think of it this way, the heat from the stone bakes the crust and the dome heat cooks the toppings. To much of either will cause a problem. If the crust burns, then you need more ceramic (or less preheat). Keep working on it because the results are really good. The Boboli type crusts work well.[p]Tim
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    hottub2,
    If it was stuck to the stone, my first question when you slid the pizza onto the stone, did you have some corn meal under the dough? This sort of acts as ball bearings and let's the finished pizza slide easily off the stone, burned or not. Keep trying, pizza on the egg is fast becoming one of my favorite and easy cooks.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    hottub2,
    TimM is right on target about ceramic mass and not wanting the stone too hot. I make it a practice to wipe the stone with a wet cloth prior to putting the first pizza on. This will 1) clean the stone of any ash/foreign material and 2) lower the surface temp of the stone.[p]Like Tim says, the stone cooks the dough and dome temp cooks the toppings. If you are using pre-cooked dough (Boboli, etc) then the dough is partially done.[p]Banker John

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    hottub2,
    Here is a pointer to my webpage on pizza tips.[p]Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza![/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    hottub2,[p]Premade pizzas were never intended to be cooked on a stone. Add a wire rack on top of the pizza stone and cook according to package directions. Preheat the pizza stone with the Egg.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That's a very nice page with some well summarized information. Thanks for the link![p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,[p]I think it was a Boboli crust or another brand of premade crust since he said he added sauce and toppings himself. Those premade crust work great in the Egg on a pizza stone - I do them all the time and I do them just like a pizza with fresh made dough. I have never tried a frozen pizza though.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M, Thanks one and all for your suggestions, I knew some eggers would come through. FYI it was a Boboli type crust, I just couldn't think of the name when I was posting the message. Thanks again everyone.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]
    Ditto on the webpage. [p]Ashley