Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Pork Ribs Recipe??

Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My search of this site didn't find a recipe for doing baby back pork ribs on my large BGE.

Specific instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here is car wash mikes recepie:::

Pork, Baby Back, Car Wash Mike

As done at 2006 Eggtoberfest! Let me start by saying that this technique is not new or original. There are many like it, so don't think I have this special process.I also cook over 100 slabs of baby backs a year for friends, family and myself. It takes time and patience. Don't give up. I truly baby, my baby backs.

Ingredients
    baby backs
    Dizzy Dust Original
    Cherry or Apple Wood Chunks
    apple juice
    apple cider vinegar (blended with water for 5% acidity)

Procedure
    1 I use baby backs exclusively.
    2 Remove the membrane, rub bone side with Dizzy Dust Original.
    3 Turn the ribs over, apply mustard, rubbing it in, then apply Dizzy Pig Original covering every part of the ribs. I don't rub in.
    4 I like the ribs to set in a covered dish in the fridge for 4-5 hours before cooking.
    5 Get the egg up to 275. Put the Plate Setter in with Cherry or Apple Wood Chunks. About 3 nice size ones. Near the middle of the fire where they can start smoking but not all at once.
    6 Use a large drip pan inside the Plate Setter with foil. The pan I use had the corners bent in to fit.
    7 The egg will drop in temp. That is okay. Open both vents. Get egg stabilized at 215-225. I like to spritz with 50/50 apple juice - apple cider vinegar (blended with water for 5% acidity) every hour or 45 minutes. Lightly.
    8 Make sure no ribs are hanging over the plate setter. I cut them off and put them on top of the rib rack. These smaller pieces will cook quicker and give you a chance to sample what you are cooking.
    9 I rotate ribs to make sure they are cooking evenly and always make sure there is plenty of air flow between each slab.
    10 After 3 ½ hours if the temp is not up to 275 go ahead and open the vents a little.
    11 After 4 ½ hours start really paying attention not to over cook. I hold a slab in my hands, if it folds in half easily they are ready to sauce.
    12 I pull off all the ribs. Coat with Blues Hog (make sure it has been refridgerated). Put the ribs back on bone side down so the sauce can stick to the ribs. Leave on for 20+/- minutes. Pull off, slice and enjoy.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Cooking Tips
    That would be correct Terry. I really start with a dome temp of 210-225. After 3 hours bump up to 250. The last 1/2 hour 275. Close vents, sauce and return. No they aren't complete. Just general ideas. When misting, the temp will eventually get to 250. Then 275. No I don't tell many people. The reason why, they will screw the last part up. It is look and feel. I have cooked so many ribs.

Recipe Source
    Author: CarWashMike (Mike McKernan)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, Car Wash Mike, 10/21/06

always a winner

th_101_0369.jpg

that is a slide show click the picture ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks for the prompt replies.

I'll be short on time and don't want to mess with foil.

I'll use the plate setter, drip pan, grate and rib rack.

Is Kevin Rathburn's method acceptable:

3 hours at 250 - 275

Thanks again!
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    These are my fast method. Little bit of foil, but not a big deal. Good luck:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=597705&catid=1
  • I guess I stand corrected.

If I want them to cook for only 3 hours, I need to forgo the plate setter and cook them direct at 250 - 275.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Try the recipe BENTE posted. I was having a hard time finding a good recipe for ribs until I found this one. My wife and I love the way the ribs turn out...just what we were looking for.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    4.5 - 5 hours with the plate setter at 250-275. I dont foil mine either. I just rub with salt/pepper/paprika/sugar equal parts mixture, and brush with sauce final .5 hour.