Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick follow up. Cooked my first meal on the egg tonight. The steaks were absolutely incredible. I followed TRex's plan and it worked like a charm. By far the best steak I've ever eaten including any restaurant I've been to. The only problem I had was getting the fire started. Then I looked in the book and realized the top should be down(Duh). I'm trying Cornish Hens tomorrow. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.THANKS!

Comments

• steve,
    Never did a cornish hen, so no help there. But, someone (probably many) on this forum has, and they will pass along their experiences to you and help you do it right the first time. Seems that it doesn't matter what you want to cook, the forum has experts more than willing to share their secrets, their recipes, and their experiences to help a novice be successful. Keep it smoking, and keep using the forum! The eggsperts on the forum have never steered me wrong![p]BBS-

• steve,[p]I've tried them once....but can't remember exactly how. For shame! I want to say it was direct at 350, but wouldn't swear to it. [p]As good as the folks on the forum are at responding timely, you've got a ton of info a few clicks away. Click on the archives link up top and type in cornish hens. You'll have more matches than you would care to look at.[p]Congrats on the successful maiden voyage! Thats one of the first things I learned and I'm still using it...did a couple of TRex steaks just last night...never disappoints.
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    steve,
    Congratulations on your first cook! As for the lighting the egg comment, I suggest considering the purchase of MAPP gas torch (approx $35). Now that I have learned the air vent opening settings for different temps, I can set the vent for the desired temp and hold the torch to the lump for about 45 seconds, close the lid and before I know it, I'm at temp - no adjustments necessary. Others here will have a different method of lighting.[p]Visit us often and let us know how your cooking experiences progress. Remember, it is a learning curve and if you're like me, plenty of mistakes are in the making! (See baked beans post below). Know that there are lots of folks here with lots of experience that are VERY willing to help.[p]Banker John

• steve,
    congrats on your first cook. . .trex is definitely the way to go . .. .one variation i tried a week or so ago is to get a cast iron pan really hot in the egg (again, 700+). ..throw some butter on it (watch out for the flames) and do the 'sear' in the pan. .. when you pull the steaks to rest, pull that pan out also. ... then continue w/ the normal trex method. . .this will give you sort of a 'ruth chris'' type buttered steak. . .. they were excellent this way. .[p]regarding lighting the egg. . banker john is correct about the mapp torch. .best $35 buck investment i've made for my egg. .. .i've found that if i'm doing a low and slo, i light one spot at the back of the lump load. . .the fire will then work its way around the load all day long and maintain wonderful low temps. . ..for a hot fire, i light 3 - 4 spots around the lump (again, it only takes about 30 - 45 seconds for each spot) and you can be at lava temps in about 15 minutes. . ..[p]continue to have fun[p]max

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    spcornhenb.jpg
    <p />steve,
    Congrats!! I spatchcocked my cornish hens. I'd guess 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes? Good luck! Here's a link to my spatchcock chicken page for some info and photos.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz Shows You How To Spatchcock A Chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Robster
    Robster Posts: 5
    steve,
    I've never done Cornish Hens myself but here's a paraphrase of the Smoke & Spice version.[p]Marinade four 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Lb. hens for 4 to 12 hours. They use a Tequila, lime juice, and Triple Sec based marinade. Stabilize the Egg at 200* to 220*. Stuff the cavities with lime and orange slices. Place the hens in the Egg brest side down and cook for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours or until an internal temp of 180* to 185* turning the hens halfway through the cook. Baste every 45 minutes or so if you desire.[p]You could use your own marinade or stuffing or omit one or both. I hope this helps. I'm attempting my first Chicken-on-a-Throne tonight so good luck to us both. Oh, by the way, I can strongly recomend the book Smoke & Spice by Jamison and Jamison for a wide variety of recipes, techniques, and Barbeque anecdotes.[p]Robster[p]

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    banker john,[p]Is there a difference between a MAPP Torch and just a regular small propane torch?[p]Thank you
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Is there a difference between a MAPP Torch and just a plain propane torch?[p]Thank you.[p]Kyle
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Kyle,
    Is there a difference between Elmer Fudd and Arnold Schwarzenegger? MAPP is propane on steroids. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz