Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions after a first cook

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up my new XL (bought used) tonight for some burgers and green peppers, just to make sure I worked out any issues for the rib cook on Sunday.

It quickly got up to 400-450, where I wanted to cook, but there were just a couple of pockets of fire. I stirred up the coals and let it burn for another 15 or so, and it was reasonable even, but one side was definitely warmer than the other. Do I need to wait for the whole firebox to get going before cooking? There was not blue smoke or anything, so I was not concerned that the firestarter was still in the egg, but rather the fact that I did not have a nice even set of coals to do a direct cook over.

Also, when I shut the door at the bottom and the lid on top, it took nearly an hour to come down below 250. Is this normal? I did notice that the seal is not good in the back (perhaps 20% of the way around), as smoke came out from there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Richard

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I would say that all that is normal.

You are probably used to a regular charcoal grill where you are looking to get all the briquets burning and a white ash all around.

In a Egg, you only burn as much lump as it takes to maintain the temperature you are trying to control.

That is why you always cook with the lid down.

The only time you really burn all across the bed of lump is when you are searing steaks at high temps or cooking pizza at high temps.

For your ribs, you will probably just light a single spot in the center of the lump and most of the lump will be there when you are done.

The Egg is way easier/faster to heat up than to cool down. It is a big ceramic unit that is a pretty darn good insulator.

Good luck.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    It's much easier to control the temp on the way up than trying to get it to come down. As far as the seal, one of my larges has pretty much no gasket and I get smoke coming out every now and then but I can still control the temp. for longer cooks. Just my two cents, congrats on the new addition. B)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    It does take forever to come back down. I went to the store to buy some supplies, and checked the temp more than 3 hours after I turned off the fire - the egg is still at 150.

I understand your comment on burning what it takes to achieve the desired temperature, and it makes sense for smoking and BBQing. I was just wondering about doing burgers or something else direct. It worked for me doing the stir. My wife and kids thought the burgers tasted better than on the Weber kettle.

Tomorrow night - pizza. Sunday - ribs (already bought and ready to apply rub tomorrow).

My wife is loving the egg already! :cheer:
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Bash

The others gave good advice, on the egg
    you basically have a 2 heat zone fire as
    you will find out, the middle section
    where the coals are burning, and the outer edge of grid, where its still warm, but not as nearly hot as center, This I found out is a great feature to have. So yes if you put a lot of burgers on grill, you will have to move around as you cook them, As far as that seal, lift up lid, loosen bottom band and pull down on band in back and hold down while tightening bolt again, then close lid
    and loosen dome band, now kinda push down on dome, especially in back area and re tighten band.You will figure this out by
    doing. If a dollar bill slides out real easy still not tight enough, keep experimenting on this and you will figure it out. I am sure my way is not the only way. If ever replace Gasket, go Nomex that
    customer service will send you at BGE.
    good luck BullyC