Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time egg user

Options
Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up the egg today. I grilled burgers on it tonight. TASTY and JUICY!

Saturday I am going to be taking it for its first real spin. What should I smoke first? I am experienced in smoking, but this is my first time with an egg. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I am excited to get going!

I have a 15 pound pork shoulder in the freezer, would that be a good thing to start with? I also have a beef rib roast and a pork loin. What is a good one to start with?

Thanks!

Chris

Comments

• MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I think all your options are good... just depends on how much time you have to allocate and pay attention to how the BGE operates to get a better comfort level with the airflow and vents.

If the pork loin is big, I'd cut it in half and start with that and then progress to the biggest cuts or longer cooks.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Temps are a little tricky to get a handle on at first. If you want a dome temp of about 250, once your egg gets near 250 I suggest you have the bottom vent open about the thickness of a credit card and the holes in the daisy wheel (the petals) open about 1/3. You may want to have the egg locked into the temp you want quite a while before putting the food on so you won't be chasing temps all night. It won't take you long before you will master temp control. Happy egging.
  • stan
    stan Posts: 51
    Options
    I'd start with the rib roast. You could break in the egg without an overnight cook and have a great meal. Get used to the egg before you take on an overnight cook. Good luck and welcome.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    A gambling friend always says "you can't play with scared money" Don't be intimidated, I find the Egg to be somewhat forgiving. I was intimidated on my first overnight cook. My very first cook was a Boston butt. With some great help from the forum it was a masterpiece. You have experience smoking so its not that different. I scratched my head when no water pan was to be used . I just knew that I was going to end of with a dried up chew toy for my Lab. If you don't already have a platesetter you may want to look in to one. Good luck and enjoy.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Whatever you choose make sure to invite your other midwestern friends (aka me). Where in WI are you? I smoked a brisket my first eggaround. I then did a butt. Whatever you do just remember that you do not HAVE to baste/spray/mop the meat in the egg. I stopped doing that and my food still tastes awesome
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations on getting an egg.

Personally I wouldn't go for an overnight cook or even a 4 plus hour cook on the first time out.

Make sure you read the manual and watch the entire video.

Chicken is always a good cook to start with and the results are great. Nevertheless, there area a lot of options.

You are in for a lot of good eats.

Welcome to the forum.

GG
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    Options
    My first cook was Spatchcock Chicken. Grandpa Grub helped me all the way. It was wonderful and since then it is one of my favorites. You just cutout the backbone of a whole chicken to flatten it out, coat it with EVOO and your favorite rub, it is awesome. Now when I spatchcock chicken, I just cut down one side of the backbone and leave that back attached. I like the meat on the backbone. You can't go wrong with anything you cook. The Big Green Egg is awesome. I love my Large and Small. :laugh: Enjoy...it is wonderful food. Welcome aboard.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    We need a write-in to Tyson for Split Broilers. That would be a good thing for us egg people.
    E
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I would go with a Spatchcock for the next cook, but I recommend takin that pork shouder out cause it will take time to thaw and you will definitely want to do that soon.

Welcome to the cult
  • Seidegger
    Seidegger Posts: 73
    Options
    First long cook was a brisket, best decision I ever made, egg makes everything good, even a 14 # 21 hour brisket was easy...