Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken question

Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well,
Last night we eat that hen that was soaked in brine and smoked with alder wood. I cooked her for 3 hours at 290 to 300 degrees and then an other half hour with the egg closed. Polder read 170 to 175 in the breast. I was a little concerned because the meat around the thigh and leg was quite pink. It was done, so maybe that color is just the result of the smoke and brine process? What'ca think? It was great eating. Thanks for all the help everyone.
N.G.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Nu-Guy,[p]You got it - that pink color is from the smoke.[p]Glad to hear it turned out so well![p]Cathy

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nu-Guy,[p]Yep, the pink is from smoke. You'll get the same thing in brisket and pork butt too. That smoke turns them that nice shade of pink that can be confused for rare or uncooked meat if you're not familiar with it. Important to use a thermometer to confirm the doneness (if thats a word) of the meat.[p]Troy
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nu-Guy,
    I have had this occur as well. I have read (on another food discussion list) that chickens today are being fattened and killed at an earlier age. The result is that the young bones haven't ossified completely and the marrow cells in the soft bones sort of migrate out during roasting, resulting in pink meat. In days gone by, this didn't happen when the chickens were older and bones were firm. Unfortunately, I didn't keep whatever referrence was cited for this information so I'm passing it along to you as heresay. For what it's worth. As others have noted, go by the temperature and you're fine.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gretl, that makes sense..thanks for the tip! C~W

• Char-Woody
    Nu-Guy, Did I misunderstand the "lid closed" part. I hope you didn't cook that bird with a open dome!! Fill me in a bit more in that area..:-) C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Char-Woody,
    I be figgerin that he meant he closed up the vents for the last half hour. Prolly wudda had a heck of a time keeping the dome temps he described with the lid open!! I thought same as you when I first read it![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy
    Char-Woody,
    Oh-kee pete...no. I quess I mislead you. I ran the egg with the bottom vent about 1 and 1/2 inch open and the daisy closed most of the time. That gave me a dome temp of 290 to 300. Those were my settings for 3 hours and then an addtional 1/2 hour with both vents closed.

• Nu-Guy
    Gretl,
    Thanks for info. I gotta show your post to my wife. When I first took the bird off and started carving, she started to question the color of the meat. Your help is
    an other example of how great this forum is, Thanks!

• Nu-Guy
    sprinter,
    Doneness is just fine. This bird was done. Check out Gretl's post, it's pretty interesting.[p]Thanks,
    N.G.

• Nu-Guy
    Cat,
    Yumm, I'm learning things and eating good too.
    I've been collecting the spices to do your ribs soon.
    Haveta wait cause we're going away this coming weekend for anniversery. Can you say happy but sad?
    Thanks, N.G.

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Nu-Guy,[p]Here is a link to a USDA web page - every thing you wanted or didn't want to know about chicken. Down more than half way, they mention why chicken meat may be red or pink. Check it out:

[ul][li]USDA -FSIS - Chicken facts:[/ul]
  • Nu-Guy

Teslamania,
    Thanks for the info!

• Char-Woody
    Nu-Guy, if its blood red and the juices run that way, its undercooked. I find that the farther away you can get your firebarrier's or drip pans away from the meat, the more uniform the smoke and meat doneness is. So I use a double rack suspension. Pan or fire barrier, then supports for the second rack or use the inverted ("plate sitter" that I refer to as Tri Pad or Tri-Stone (3 legged pizza stone).
    Just so we don't get "confusicated over" redness in poultry. Be sure and check thigh (180F) and breast 170F for correct doneness.
    Cheers...C~W
    (addendum..just don't let the meat rest in or close to the bottom of your drip pan)[p]

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Nu-Guy,[p]I've eat them that way and they are good but I like mine just a tad more done.[p]Elder Ward

• Char-Woody
    Nu-Guy, My interpreter just got fired..heeee.. Ok, that's much better..Thanks.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Teslamania, as usual a excellent reference site. Just went into my favorites file. The Pink Meat paragraph was on the money.
    Cheers and thank's.
    C~W