Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I appreciate the Forum

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just want to say thank you to all of the contributors in the Forum.[p]I am new to this, and find the forum to be of great help. Fun too.[p]Now - If I don't set the world on fire, I will feel like I have a good start.[p]<smiles>[p]Kyle

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kyle,
    i have only been at this egg business for a few months myself, and thanks to the people on this forum, my cooking capabilities and knowledge have expanded by 1000% !!!!!![p]

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Kyle,
    And it appreciates you.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Kyle,
    Yeah, it has been a great resource for me too. Following the experts' advice, I've been able to do it right the first time, every time.[p]Butt's been in for 11 hours, and it's sitting at 160-degrees in a large with a stable 225-degree dome temperature. I slept all night. It doesn't get any better than this. ;-)[p]BBS

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I have not tried the "low and slow" routine yet, but look forward to doing some pulled pork.[p]I am a little nervous about my ability to stabilize a temperature that low.[p]I figure the BGE will either burn it up, if I leave it - or go out. <smile>[p]Nevertheless, I am going to try that soon.[p]Have a good weekend.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Kyle,
    One bit of advice I can offer is, if you are going to do an overnighter use something to reach in the lower vent and gently cleasr the holes in the ash grate before you go to bed. This will greatly decrease the chance of the fire going out. You can use something a simple as a bent coat hanger to stick up in the holes, or anything else you might think of. The only time I had a fire go out overnight was due to the ash blocking air flow. My 02¢[p]
    Wess
    Wess

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Kyle,
    It's so easy... the trick, if there is one, is to sneak up on your desired temperature. I light the lump (full firebox) in the center on top, and close the egg up as soon as the starter cube is lit well. Then I set the rotary dial at about half open, and the lower vent at 1/4 inch open until it comes up to temperature. Then I close the lower vent to something between 1/8 and 1/4 inch, and adjust the top dial to stabilize.[p]Check it an hour later and tweak the vents, if necessary. Make very, very small adjustments. For low and slow I NEVER open the bottom vent more than 1/4 inch. As we "speak" right now my bottom vent is at 1/4 inch, and my top vent at about 1/3 open. The temp is rock-steady at 250-degrees (butt is up to 181 now, 14 hours into the cook).[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Kyle,
    Yes, it is highly helpful plus is a crossroads for finding new friends.
    I am always amazed at my dealer who for some reason hasn't grasped the impact this forum has on selling the BGE product. I tell him regularly to put a sign by the display, or better yet have some of his business cards printed with this site listed.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    No Kidding! I've always thought the same thing...the forum is one of the TOP selling points of the BGE and the dealer here in Nashville doesn't seem to get it either. I found out about it on my own several years ago when I bought my egg from them. This forum ROCKS!