Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Yellow Stone

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about visiting this summer. I was wondering for the folks that have been how many days you stayed and if you got to see everything you wanted and what you experience in travel times to and from the various locations within the park.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i fished it for five days both inside and outside the park, plan on some driving, there is nothing close to anything out there. i wasnt there to site see, but one thing i learned is that you need to really plan out your fishing trip there, some rivers heat up and the fish dissapear from them at certian times of the year. really need to talk to the right people. the madison just outside the town of yellow stone was my favorite, big fish in heavey pocket water. B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    It all depends on what you want to do. Add extra time for hiking and or fishing.

Probably best to google and do some reading and looking.

It is a great place to visit.

GG
  • fishlessman
    Options
    there is hiking there too, i wonder what else i missed :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't know if I would trade the fishing for hiking.

If coming out Yellowstone way, more time is well spent in the Wind River and the Grand Teaton area of Wyoming. Such a beautiful area, pristine wilderness - yes fishing.

http://www.wind-river.org/

GG
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Great points. I've done four weeks in the Wind Rivers, back when we had no problems backpacking 4 days into the wilderness. Staying for 4, and hiking 4 days out. The Wind Rivers are a phenominal paradise of danger and beauty...and lots and lots of space and trout filled glacial lakes. A few stunning active glaciers as well.

Yellowstone is also staggeringly gorgeous. Forget even getting close to seeing it all. We did a backpack in the Southeastern part. Rolling meadows, lodgepole pines, fumerols, rainbows, and the Tetons jutting up in the distance. Still remember it was called the Pitchstone Plateau. we saw absolutely nobody once we got onto the trail.

Every area of the park is different, and my goal would be to see a few totally different areas. Obviously there is the popular areas the tourists see. Old Faithful....but that's not my thing. I still think it is crazy how people fish one cast away from each other lined up on the Firehole River. I read that every trout in that stream has been caught and released multiple times. No thanks. Go anywhere else except for where everyone else is going, and you'll see all you need to see for one trip in Yellowstone.

Remember, don't eat a can of tuna and spill the juice on yourself, then climb into your tent for the evening. LOL. Them grizzlies got goooood noses.
    Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    "don't eat a can of tuna and spill the juice on yourself, then climb into your tent for the evening. LOL"

Or cook in the tent when it is raining - then plan on sleeping in the tent overnight.

Yellowstone is well worth visiting but that is an end destination for a lot of people. The White Face of Yellowstone is also a great trip (Winter visit).

Tourist season in Yellowstone is very crowded indeed. Both loops have a lot of traffic. We have been lucky enough to visit at the early or end season. All that area is beautiful.

GG
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    The answers will depend on what you want to do. Are you interested in fishing, hiking, or general picture taking? Are you going by yourself or with a significant other, or with children?

Summer time the park is crowded. Expect long travel times within the park itself. If one car pulls over because they see an elk, everyone pulls over and there is a traffic jam. Plan on getting to an area of the park and staying around that general area for the day. No matter how you plan it, you will miss something. But that's just an excuse to go back for more!!

We spent 4 full days inside the park just sight seeing and doing some light hiking. Still have a long list of things we want to go back to see. We went just after Labor Day and then went over to Jackson Hole for a week and explored the Tetons.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im glad i didnt see a line of flyfishers on a bank, firehole wasnt fishing when i was there, maybe too late in the year. i did real well in an area with heavey fast moving water on the madison, i was told by several people during the week the area was unfishable and that i wouldnt be able to land anything in it anyways. :laugh: i still cant believe the numbers and sizes of browns i pulled out of that unfishable water. what i didnt like though was the harrassment from local property owners on some of the rivers i fished, i wouldnt feel comfortable fishing alone and i got in the habit of makeing sure i had pictures of everyone giving me a hard time, this never happened in the park but on some of the smaller rivers like the ruby just east of the park. if you not in the park, dont step on a riverbank thats not state owned, you can walk in the water, but dont step on that bank and if anyone gives you a hard time while your in the water, just smile, wave to them, take their picture, and go back to fishing.
    fukahwee maine

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Yellowstone is big and spectacular and VERY crowded in the summer. You should try and go in the spring or fall if you can. If you are a good hiker you could spend weeks there.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Hiking provides food for the grizzly bears. Don't hike alone and make sure you can run faster then at least one other person in your group.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    We'll be going with kids so light hiking will be the order of the day. With pictures and some of those touristy things on the agenda. They are excited about some of the things we've been showing them. Should be a good time. I was wondering how bad the traffic in the park would be. I've been hearing it is really hit or miss.

Full summer tourist season I'm afraid for the timing.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Traffic at that time will be heavy, bumper to bumper. As long as there are no accidents, animals on or close to the road all will be fine and will flow somewhat smoothly.

Plan on a little more time due to the amount of people but it will be a lot of fun and a great vacation spot.

If you have never been there make sure you follow the warnings, especially animal warnings. Talk with the rangers about things to do, those folks will usually give you some great inside information and some fun things to do/see.

It has been a long time since we have been up in tourist season so I am not sure about park capacities and if there is any restrictions of park entry due to the park being full. A phone call or two (or the internet) will answer those questions for you and possibly make reservations.

There are things to do around the park also so don't miss out on all the fun.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    "make sure you can run faster then at least one other person in your group." :laugh: :laugh: Now don't scare them.

GG
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I'm planning on hitting at least Mt Rushmore and the Badlands on the way in or out.

In Des Moines we will stop by Hawgeyes for some bbq purchases B)

I saw John Waynes birthplace was out that way on the way to Omaha....might have to stop by.

My son won't let me not stop at the worlds largest truck stop again so we've got some plans.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Make sure you look up the spots somewhat close to Mt. Rushmore, there are some interesting stops if they fit in to the travels.

If you haven't been up that way, you will understand the badlands. Think about not having modern transportation when you are traveling those roads.

You are going to have a good time.

GG
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    Its been 30 years since I've been west of Omaha.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Visiting Yellowstone. Stayed outside the East gate at the Pohaska Indian Campground (Buffalo Bill's original hunting camp). Saw all the major features of the park, but would have loved to linger longer and camp there. This was but one stop for us on a whirl wind tour of the great parks of the US one summer. Also went to Glacier (my fave), Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Cavern, Bryce Canyon, and more.
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Be sure and float the Snake River for great beauty and the majestic Tetons on your right.

Ray