Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to decide

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys
My Weber gas grill is on it's last leg. I'm seriously considering euthanasia and getting a BGE. The rep at the store was not a lot of help and it usually takes me two hours to pick out a goldfish, so you can imagine me trying to decide which grill to go with. So, tell me why the egg is so much better than gas or a regular charcoal grill. Can you honestly tell that much of a difference? Also what is the going rate for a setup. I saw on this forum that evidently there are really good deals at the Eggfest. My in-laws live in Atlanta and that might be a good time for a trip. The price here in Raleigh, NC for the large, the nest, thermometer, and daisy wheel top will be $710 plus tax.
All of your comments will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    babybacks03.jpg
    <p />steve, When I made my decision, it was based on the fact that I couldn't cook ribs on a gas and I was going threw a Weber Kettle about every 2 years. I now have 2 larges and a mini, all 3 will get a work out this weekend.
    Beef tenderloin on 1, babybacks one another, and Mahi Mahi on the mini.
    Good luck on your decision,[p]CWM

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    steve,[p]DO IT, you won't regret it (that is if you enjoy food that has flavor and makes your friend think you are the Grill/Smoke master). I also have more than on egg and am considering a third. When we have friends over, they ask if I will be cooking on the egg![p]Smokey

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    steve,I wanted a brick oven to bake pizza, bread, etc. and found the egg instead! I now have three! Greatest money I ever spent in my life.Food is incredible, incomparible to stuff cooked on other ovens/grills. It bakes, grills, smokes. Go for it!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    steve,
    $710 is a pretty good deal (notwithstanding waiting for eggfest and buying one there). ..i have said this before:[p]used to cook on gas and liked it. . .when the gasser rusted i went back to a weber kettle. . .i'd forgotten how good grilled food could taste. . .now i have an egg. . the weber is used to store my lump. . .the egg is the best investment in cooking you will ever make. ..bar none. . .[p]don't wait. . .go buy it NOW. . .[p]good luck[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    steve,
    Where are you looking in Raleigh? BBQ's Galore, Ace or Fire House? Or somewhere else? I haven't compared prices, but the Fire House on Spring Forest will bend over backwards to keep you happy. You need to see Brian. I paid a little more there, but their service has been outstanding. [p]As for the egg vs. gas. The Egg is so much more versatile, it puts gas to shame. You can cook at 125 degrees up to 1000 degrees on the egg. You can make a smoked pizza on the egg. Can't do it on a gasser. Gasser wont' go down to 225 for a low and slow. Gasser isn't any fun, either, unless you simply can't be bothered with playing around with charcoal. Another regular charcoal grill still isn't as versatile as an egg. If you want to see an egg in action, I'm doing ribs tomorrow. Email me if you want.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Robster
    Robster Posts: 5
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    A picture truely does tell a thousand words.
    If that is not enough to convince Steve I don't know what is.