Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
usagrilling
usagrilling Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I need advice on the purchasing of a themapen. I am thinking of the yellow in color super fast model. Would appreciate advice and input from current owners. What do you recommend for a tip model and best place to buy? How do you like it? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    usagrilling,
    Buy it. They are fast and accurate and it's a good tool to have. Color is a personal choice.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    usagrilling,
    Here is where we got ours. We bought the commercial use, super fast, sharp point, lime green for $79. We love ours![p]~nikki

[ul][li]Thermopen[/ul]
  • usagrilling
    Options
    usagrilling,
    The standard tip verson only comes in gray and has a larger diameter probe than the super fast verson. Should this be of concern in use? I am concerned to the tip bending etc in thick or tough cuts of meat? I like the suprerfast model due to the fast responce time and colors but want to be sure of my choise.

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    usagrilling,[p]Get the super fast one. Time in the food is the main concern and you want it to read as fast as possible. You can break anything, if you are not rough with it it won't break or bend on anything. If you sit on it, drive over it or drop if off of a 3 story deck then it might break. But, get the fast reading one! [p]
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    tom,[p]you are correct - they are very durable - but a word to the wise - they are "not" grandson proof - i have a 25.00 repair receipt to prove the above

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • usagrilling
    Options
    Tom,
    Thank you for all the response I recieved. It was very helpful. This form is of great help with great people onboard. I will now proceed to buy my new toy.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    usagrilling,
    I echo the others - pop for the extra 10 bucks for the quicker model. I went with yellow aa it is quick to notice too. You know there is also a holster available, which in all honesty is for the pro cookers, unless you want to be known as "old quick draw" when you slap the leather!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    rrp,[p]hey, we are the pro cookers!!!!

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    usagrilling,
    I got the 4-second commercial in grey. It works great and is plenty durable to stick in any cut of meat. The extra-fine tip actually doesn't put holes in things that juices run out of... a plus in my kitchen![p]It actually does stablize in 4 seconds, and is 100-percent on the mark. Go fer it![p]BBS!

• MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Posts: 33
    Options
    usagrilling,
    I finally ordered a blue one. My wife offered to buy it for me as my Father's Day present. That was an offer I just could not resist.
    What a lucky guy I am![p]TerryF

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I hate it that I am such a neophite at this, but what is a Thermapen?[p]Thank you for your help.[p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Your questions should be answered below.[p]Get one in red. :~)[p]John
    [ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Thank you a lot. Will save the file and I suspect I will fall to the temptation. <smile>[p]Have a nice evening
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Kyle,[p]You're welcome....... I resisted for a few months after learning about it...... it's since become an indespensable tool in my my arsenal.[p]Good evening to you!

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Did you get the commercial or home use one & what is he difference between the different colors?[p] Dave

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Dave,[p]I have the commercial super-fast. It made sense for me to go with the faster model where I can lift the lid, stick the meat, check the temp and close the lid all in about 6 seconds. [p]There's no difference in the colors other than a bright one is easier to find when you need it. [p]For example, when cooking with Nature Boy, our cooking area tends to be, well, "spread out" and utensils somewhat difficult to spot in the cacophony of texture and color. If the thermapen were a neutral color then I would never find it.[p]The lime green model would work very well for Chris. :~)[p]John