Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Pearls or Sabratts

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had to get into the mix. These are good ole Oscar Meyer all beef franks. We don't get the kind of sausages and dogs that you get out east in the big city. We in the mid west do suffer from the lack of some great products. I still love living here. Good luck to all. Tom IMG_0733.jpg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    i went on a search for the best hotdogs a few years back when our local essem company sold out to tyson chicken, they changed the recipe but still sold under the same name. these were the best that i found available around here. 1 pearls, 2 deutschmacher, 3 boarshead, 4 hebrew nationals, and 5 kayems. the peals really stand above the crowd. just googled essems and see kayems bought essems from tyson, hope they brought the origional recipe back. i think these are called gaggers south of boston with rhode island weiner sauce. i remember reading that the average american eats 90 hotdogs a year.
    2005231234.jpg

2005232506.jpg

we cant ever leave here, its not all about the hotdog, its all about the nissen split top hotdog bun. its how we eat our lobstah

100_0578.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    If you're in the mid west see if there's a local farmer that has his own stuff processed. I live in Louisville and get all my meat from a local farmer. Its all free-range, no hormones or antibiotic and he makes great hot dogs.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Weren't those the buns that Howard Johnson's used many years ago for both hot dogs and some of their fish thingies? Yup, the original HoJo's was another great creation from New England - the only one we didn't like was the one at the base of the Bourne Bridge!