Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mahi + Jamaican Firewalk + Fire

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    how did you get the crust? looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Slathered it up with olive oil and dusted it with JF. Then went out and got the egg going. Once it was up to 400 degrees, and the CI grid was hot, I dusted a little more Firewalk and laid it on the grill. Rotated it after a few mins to get the crosshatch. Flipped a few mins later, rotated again and pulled it. Easy as can be, and oh, so good. I LOVE mahi. LOVE IT! and hadn't had any in quite a while. Found a new fishmonger nearby and knew what I was having as soon as I saw it sitting on ice in the case.
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks really tasty! Thanks.
    Cooked directly on grid or in a grill pan?
    About 5-10 minutes total?

Later,
    Peter
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    omba wrote:
    Looks really tasty! Thanks.
    Cooked directly on grid or in a grill pan?
    About 5-10 minutes total?

Later,
    Peter

On a CI grid on the fire ring, though the coals were pretty low. I used coals left over from the previous night's roast beef and chicken, so the coals were probably only up to the level of the vent holes in the firebox walls.

I didn't really keep time, but yeah, 5-10 mins, but that's a WIDE time range at that temp. Cook it 'til it's done. The fish won't really let you flip it for a few minutes anyway, or it will stick to the grate.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    that really looks good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Now THAT is how fish is supposed to be cooked! I can tell you ain't askeered to cook that stuff right over the hot coals.

Nice work, and thanks for sprinkling our stuff on that beautiful fish. Been knocked down with a fever the past couple days without much appetite, but I am now officially hungry. Thank you.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Stick that pic in Better Homes and Gardens cook book. A clssic. Great job on it.