Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm going back to gas...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going back to my gas grill... I bought the big green egg, and I'm really not impressed. The grill area is too small, and it takes an entire week to cook anything....[p]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Big John Chalker,[p]I'm glad to hear you have found what works for you. Happy Grilling and a great summer to ya. Lots of good information here, stop in when you have time.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Big John Chalker,[p]Since it is not working out for you, why don't you give us some idea where you live? Maybe someone will come by and give you a few bucks and also get rid of that over sized flower pot you've got taking up all that space.[p]Keep em Smokin (or Not),
    Jethro

• I'm in auburn, alabama. If anyone is close enough to pick it up, I'll take half of what I paid for it.
  • Big John Chalker,[p]I think I diagnosed your problem. Sounds like you're trying to cook an entire side of beef on the mini.[p]Good luck speeding up the process on your gasser.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    squid.jpg
    <p />Big John Chalker,
    Try squid before you move on.[p]It takes a total of 20 minutes from start to finish to cook squid. 17 minutes or so to get a raging 1000 degree fire, and 3 minutes for the cook. Slice into rings, and you are off to the races. [p]You have to move quickly (which is sounds like you are used to). If the cooking grid was any larger you would not be able to keep up with the flipping.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big John Chalker,[p]What size BGE is it? I'm in B'ham, and know plenty of folks that love mine and might be interested in obtaining one for themselves at a bargain price.[p]Any accessories to go with?

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Big John Chalker, how do you cook things faster on a gas grill??

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Big John Chalker,[p]Maybe Eggmaster would like to buy that egg from you to put under your industrial vent hood....... [p]IP and System Footprint the same for the two posters...hmmmmmmm[p]Zip
    Roll Tide

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Andy:[p]Hey, I see you finally got the Sunbeam back up to a hot nough temperature to grill those steaks . . . Took you a week, but I knew you could do it!
    [/b]
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Big John Chalker,
    What size is it? And how much do you want?

• Big John Chalker,[p]I'd be willing to drive down from Atlanta to take it off of your hands -- if the price is right.[p]War Eagle :)

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    EggTopia,
    I'm not sure what is up, but this gentleman just posted twice with two different names, one claiming to want to get rid of an egg and another claiming to be using his egg indoors. You might wish to exercise a bit of caution.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big John Chalker,[p]How much lump do you use to get it to cook for a week?? I have filled the firebox full and gotten 22 hrs but I don't think I could make it last a week. [p]Tim
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Big John Chalker,[p]I think you might be forgetting the lump and are trying to cook with your starter cubes if it takes a week to grill something. How many people are you trying to feed, with what, that it isn't big enough??? Honestly I think you need to give it some more time and hone your skills a bit. Even if you think it's taking longer isn't the taste alone worth the wait??[p]Chuck
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Good point. It is also odd that he has a Cox cable email address (jchalker@coxcable.net). When I moved from Auburn a few years ago, AT&T (now Comcast) was the exclusive cable provider. Also, if you check Cox's webpage for service Alabama is not listed. Definitely sounds fishy.[p]I really don't need another Egg anyway, but I am a sucker for a good deal :)[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Eggtopia,
    We use Cox here in Virginia, and they have moved all the email addresses over to cox.net. It certainly does seem a little fishy. If it is, in fact, a "bait job", all that will be illustrated is that folks around here will try and help whenever possible. [p]And maybe take the opportunity to throw in a couple good natured jokes. LOL.
    Beer thirty here. Good weekend onya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Big John Chalker,
    Well, I understand your frustration. I experienced the same watching the video and then trying accomplish the same results. If I missed you posting before I am sorry. Before you do anything, try to use this forum and e-mail people on the forum for more help. I do beleive you'll be happy with the results.
    It took me awhile (6 weeks) but I have never cooked this good before. Good luck what ever you do. As Gfw always says, "the best BBQ is the BBQ that YOU like" or something similar.[p]CWM

• trollBW.jpg
    <p />Thanks but no thanks.......
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Big John Chalker,[p]Good...
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
  • Hammer
    The Naked Whiz,
    It looked like a good deal, however when he said he was in Auburn, Ala., I didn't read any further! BAMA! Roll Tide Roll!
    Hammer

• Hammer,[p]It's rollin' baby, it's rollin.[p]ROTFLMAO[p]WDE

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Big John,[p]Have you been snorting your propane again? John!! Always read the warning label: Propane abuse causes delusions and a warped sense of time. Remember, all you have to worry about with the egg are flashbacks!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Big John Chalker,[p]NO, NO, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US. HOW WILL WE EVER CONTINUE WITHOUT YOU.[p]OK, I'M OVERIT![p]Bye
  • Hammer
    Mike Price,
    From the way it looks, it's the coach's that are rolling through, and if not we'll be rolling out of the conference from too many probations.
    The Bear must be laughing his a-- off, smoking a cigarett, and drinking burbon.
    Hammer

• RG,
    If it's a big one I'll buy it. I'm in Auburn. I own a medium. War Eagle![p]Will

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Will Crow,
    He appears to have been a troll....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    I know somebody in Arburn who may want to buy it. Let me know if it's still available.