Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-Gluten Flour

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have an idea where this flour can be found? I am looking to make some pizza dough from scratch and this flour simply isn't available in the Denver area. Everything is gluten-free. I have found King Arthur's at Whole Foods, but of course they don't have the High-Gluten flour. They have unbleached Bread flour by King Arthur-not sure if this will work. I have seen Red Mill Vital Gluten Wheat flour. Not worth it to order online. Any stores carry such an animal in Denver, or is there a close substitute? Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I buy it directly from KA on their website. It is kind of expensive but I've gotten some really great crusts with it. I'm making my dough for Friday night this afternoon,and just for the heck of it I'm going to use KA bread flour just to see if the hi gluten is worth the money. I have a feeling I'm going to find it is. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You can take the regular bread flour and add a couple tablespoons of vital wheat gluten to it. I have seen VWG in Wal-Mart superstores. Another option is to incorporate some semolina flour in the dough. You may find high-gluten flours labeled as "hard red spring wheat".

If you can't get the gluten then you can do a double knead of the dough using bread flour. Mix your dough and knead for 10-12 minutes. Let it rest for 5, then knead for 5 more. Then either do a windowpane or bench test of the dough to see if the gluten chains have developed enough. If not, then knead 2 more minutes. A longer development/rise time will also help.

Another tip is to form your crust, then allow it to sit at room temp for 20-30 minutes before topping it for a more chewy texture.
  • BeerBQ
    Thanks for the reply RP. Keep me posted as to your results with the bread flour. I am actually going to try your dough recipe once I can find the flour.
  • Fidel
    I've done that same test Randy, and the difference is really amazing to me.

The big difference to me is that the exterior texture is much more crisp while the interior is more moist and chewy.

I'll be interested in your findings.
  • AZRP
    Yeah Rod, I've gone through about 20 lbs of Sir Lancelot now so I should be able to note the differences. I'm thinking about adding about 15% semolina to the bread flour. -RP
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Randy,
    I've been using Zippylip's Recipe with the KA high gluten, and a 2 day ferment in the fridge. It's as good as any pizza place crust, both in flavor and texture.
  • AZRP
    I don't know Marc's recipe, but I've been doing a 4 day rise in the fridge and its really good. -RP
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Semolina is a good thing and it does make a big difference in the texture of the dough.Don't forget to substitute a good full bodied beer instead water and the difference is amazing.
  • Fidel
    I'm doing that this weekend. I have Beck's Dark that I think will work wonders in the dough.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Just remember to stir or shake it up to make it flat.Get it to your temp desired and mix away.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Without reading all the other posts I will tell you what I did. sams or costco has it in a 50lb bag for 30 or so. I put it in zip lock bags in the freezer. Gave a bunch away and still have a lifetime stash. Still way cheaper than KA
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Costco has High Gluten Flour in 30 Lb. bags. I put mine in a Big Plastic Kitty Litter Storage Box. (Yes I did clean it out well). Fits just fine. I use a cup of High Gluten to 4-5 cups regular flour to make my bread, will try that on a pizza soon. It may work.
    Thanks, Bob
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I used a recipe this weekend that started with bread flour (640 grams or about 4 cups) and I substituted 120 grams (3/4 cup) semolina for 160 grams bread flour (1 cup). This called for reducing the water by 1/4 cup to maintain the same hydration.

I really liked the results and everything is available locally.

I did a second test adding 1 cup polenta in place of 1 cup flour and the 'judging panel' was evenly split on which one was better.

I think I will try one adding both semolina and cornmeal (finer than polenta).
  • I have bought from Fante's before and they are a lot less expensive then KA

http://www.fantes.com/pizza.html

ross
  • BeerBQ
    Wow..Thanks for all the replies. Those who bought this at COSTCO...what exactly is it called? I looked the other day and didn't see any high gluten flour. Maybe just didn't have it at this location.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    high gluten or protein
  • AZRP
    I checked our Costco, all they had was AP and bread flour. -RP