Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on new Egg table

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello. About to get my first egg need to have the table ready to go. I have seen a few table plans... they seem to be pretty straightforward. Just wondering if there are any additional things or adjustments I should consider as I build? [p]Also, what material did you folks use to make your tables? Did you use treated lumber? Or regular and paint/ stain it? [p]Thanks.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Nardi,
    You can make your table out of treated lumber or something nicer with a finish if you like. I did my table out of red oak and finished with Minwax Helmsman Spar Varnish. Here is a link to my webpage about building my table:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Table[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nardi,[p]I haven't built a table, but have thought of a few things I'd like to include when I do. This may be tough, but some sort of dry storage area for lump/wood chips/polder would be nice, although that may be too big of a table. I've seen someone include some sort of tile inlay or cutting board on top, which made sense to me. I'd put a bar on the egg end, just to hang towel, tongs, etc. And I would definitely steal an idea from TNW and get a bottle opener or two. Maybe even cut in a cup holder.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Nardi,
    TNW has the best details on his table construction; be sure to check it out![p]A couple of other things...I haven't looked at the plans lately, but I think the specs are for the Egg with the auto-lock hinge. The new spring assist hinge will require the egg to sit a little higher. That can easily be accomplished by putting a concrete stepping stone under the egg, which also keeps the bottom of the egg from resting on the wood. You'll also want something in front of the bottom vent to catch any of the shooting embers, otherwise, they'll land on the wood and that could cause problems as well.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nardi,
    Made mine out of cedar and covered the top with ceramic tile. It works fine and looks great. However, I designed it before the spring assist device came out and it will not work on my Egg the way I have it set up. Shelby is right about that point. Also, I did not use anything between the bottom of my Egg and the cedar platform except the three ceramic feet that came with my Egg. No problem in five years of cooking on it.[p]The best advice is to combine all the ideas you find on this Forum with your own and make something that works for you. [p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    3376844323232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232333%3B566%3B%3A4ot1lsi
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    I meant to include a photo so you could get some ideas. Here it is.[p]SC

• Robster
    Robster Posts: 5
    Options
    RG,
    You managed to describe my Egg table almost to a T. I went with the plans provided in the Products section of this web site because I wanted to be able to use their table cover. I did most all of the modifications that you suggested. I boxed in the lower shelf next to the Egg, I inset a ceramic tile under the Egg (not that it really gets too hot down there but I like to be prepared), I also installed hooks on the side to hang my BBQ tools and a towel ring on the front. In retrospect, and as like your suggestion, I wish I had put tile or a cutting board on top. The reason for this has to do with Nardi's question about paint or wood preservatives. Unless you use a paint, stain, or preservative that is safe for food preperation I would do as I have been forced to do; I do my prep work in the kitchen and just carry out containers or a cutting board out to the Egg table.
    I hope this helps.

• Unknown
    Options
    Robster,[p]Sounds great! I've told a few people that if I had it to do over again I would have built the table first and not bought the nest and mates, but maybe its better that I've had the egg awhile so I know exactly what would be most useful.[p]Of course, the best thing would have been to do like the original poster and find this forum before getting the egg!

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    518.jpg
    <p />Nardi,[p]This is the table I built for my cottage. Basic as all git out but very functional. Many tables built by fellow eggers far exceed this one, but I also built this in 3 hours from lumber yard to egg placement. The bracing took up the most time. :>)[p]40 bux in material and away ya go.[p]Good luck to ya![p]Happy weekend![p]Mick

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Gee, I expected to see dozens of 6 inch holes in your table where you cut those rings out! :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    GreenEgg2p.jpg
    <p />Nardi,
    Just some ideas.[p]LR

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Rain%20or%20ShineMVC-008S.JPG
    <p />Nardi,
    Rain or shine.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Leroy,[p]There are some nice tables on this board but I've always been partial to your design....... when the time comes, I may hit you up for the plans.
    Right down to the star in the middle. :~)[p]Nearly Beer Time,
    John[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Thank you. I take that as a compliment. Truth be known, I really didn't have the total design plan in mind when I started. It just sorta came together that way. The star is there only because I live in Texas. Otherwise it may have been just an off-center knot-hole to reflect how I sometime feel. But, if you want me to take some measurements and some inside photos and write out what I remember, I will be happy to do it. Meanwhile, I'm pondering doing another one, possibly a two-Egger and maybe a high-end stainless gasser to warm the beans. My next one will probably have a frig to keep the beer close at hand. And I may go all out and have some stainless steel drawers made to hold my growing collection of accessories. Ain't it fun? And to think, I had no idea what I bought when I got my Egg. I was just attracted to their ad: "World's Best Smoker." I like things that can openly brag about being the World's Best. And you are always welcome to come see for yourself.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks, Leroy. I would be interested in seeing dimensions with photos and any proposed modifications...... I'm sure there are folks here who would like to see them as well.
    I have no plans to build a table anytime soon so please don't feel rushed on my part.[p]A fridge, eh? I like the way you think...... no man should ever have to look too hard to find a beer while cooking. :~)[p]And thanks for your long standing invitation...... I know exactly where Spring is and it's been way too long since I've breathed in Texas air![p]John

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    MVC-007F.JPG
    <p />Nardi,
    Here's a picture for reference. One thing to plan on is to provide plenty of space to the left or right of the Egg. You can never have too much working space. Also, if you notice at the bottom, I allowed enough room to slide my tools & stuff in containers my wife picked up at Target. The one the left holds 20# of lump perfectly, the one in the middle holds tools that I don't use every cook, and the one on the right holds my more frequently used tools, lighting stuff and assorted wood chips.

• Unknown
    Options
    AndyR,

Why is your egg blue???

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nardi:[p]Because Andy has added a gas grill to his collection of cookers and is going to enlarge the table to accommodate it. The large egg obviously has not told the medium egg yet . . .
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    BBE.jpg
    <p />djm5x9,
    Cute, real cute. [p]Nardi,
    They had one available when I was going to purchase and I liked it. I'm not sure of the real story but allegedly they made several blues as a "special run". Through the past couple of years, I would ocasionally see one on the showroom floor of BGE in Atlanta. They may still make them.