Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our first Dutch Oven Cook

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
LC gave me a 7 qrt Lodge DO for xmas. This is the first time we have ever used a DO on "Ole Lady". First a quick call to the master of DO, Grandpas Grub. After some helpful tips, LC and I were off to the races. When she was 10 years old, an old Portuguese woman named Florence, showed her how to make this soup. (God rest her soul) Caldo Verde or Green Soup is made with fresh choirizo, linguica, and chuck roast. 2lbs of kale and lots of other stuff. We will be making this for the meet and greet in Ocala and will share the recipe after.

Get the egg up to 450 deg with spider.

DSC00318.jpg

Add the chuck to sear.
DSC00323.jpg

then the choirizo
DSC00325.jpg

add other secret stuff

DSC00330.jpg

2lbs of Kale

DSC00336-1.jpg

flip the spider with legs down and bring to simmer. Egg was kept at 300 deg. We kept the lid on for the first 45 minutes. Added some wiskey chips and let smoke for 30 minutes.
DSC00347.jpg

Covered for the last 30 minutes and then served.
Gee, what should I drink with this?

DSC00352.jpg

You guessed it...

P9072800.jpg

LC had the Portuguese Shiraz....Go figure :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Trust me, son! All your recipes will be safe with me!! ;) I need to get a head start on the recipe book for the fest, so, if you have any recipes you know you are going to do send them to me ahead of time.....None of these will be published until after the fest!!......promise!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Bubba that gets the JAKE SEAL OF APPROVAL!! Really looks good right now as its about 35 degrees and trying to get these stupid vegs tinder on the Egg! :laugh: Every time I see your Bubba Tim approved "post" I think about the Lee jeans tag that says "Buddy Lee tested, Buddy Lee approved" with a pic of a doll that looks roughly like "Chuckie"!! Crackes me up every time!!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Hey there Tim looking real good, you will love cooking with the D.O. on the egg. There are some many things you can do with it. I cook a lot with mine.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

That looks great. I've had the soup but never with the beef.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Won't want to miss this in Ocala. BTW- Nice selection of wine too.
  • bubba tim
    This is not my recipe to send you. I will approacch this with the, Head Little Chef.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    That makes the dish. It was roo meat. Very tasty. Not! :P I did the pit minding and the heavy lifting, LC made that wonderful soup. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Looks great, I’ll patiently wait to see the rest of the ingredients. I definitely go for a one pot meals.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I will be the girl drooling over your egg fri night! That looks to dang good. a loaf of sourdough and I would be very happy :) Hope Little chef will share LOL see you guys soon! Juie
  • Looks great...I can almost smell it :)
    Will be looking forward to the recipe...After the "big-to-do" in Ocala.
  • Oh man, I LOVE Portuguese food. I can think of no better meal to break in your dutch oven.

We need to find a way to attract a Portuguese migration to Chicago...at least enough to start a portuguese restaurant. I fell in love with Portuguese food on a vacation to the east coast, and immediately came back and tried to find a restaurant in Chi-town...no luck. It's also basically impossible to find a local source for chouriço, or even Spanish style chorizo. Plenty of Mexican syle chorizo, but no spanish or portuguese. Did find a local meat market that makes linguiça, but they were out last time I visited.

Very yummy looking, bubba tim!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Wow, that sure looks good. It sounded pretty good when talking to you but after seeing the pictures...

I never thought of letting the DO "rest in" the spider. Did the DO remove easily or was there expansion/contraction between the spider/DO?

Congratulations to you and LC on a great looking cook, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Kent
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hey GG - Sorry this response is so late in coming. I hope you see it.
    Anyways, there was absolutely NO problem with the DO in the spider. No expansion/contraction, etc.... In the spider, the DO was about 1/2" off the coals, and got good and smokin hot for the sear. Since it was a soup we were making, we left the spider legs up. But, I imagine for more sensitive cooks (ie Paella, Jambalaya, etc) that the spider, flipped to legs down, then the DO resting in it, after the meat it seared would be just as effective.
    Let us know if you try it, and how it goes for you!
    Michelle