Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with all our extra meat from Memorial Day Weekend

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
to the forum, [p]i know a lot of us plan on doing up lots of brisket/butts, and other good stuff (depending on the weather) this weekend, with the potential for a lot of leftovers. . .well here's a suggestion:[p]Given that Memorial Day is a time to honor those who put their lives on the line every day to protect us, both around the world (our military), and close to home (our police/fire/emt's, etc), pack up some of that good "q" and take it down the street to your local fire house or precinct house, and let those who don't have this weekend off be reminded of just how much we appreciate them, and that their hard work does not go unnoticed. . .i'm sure they'll appreciate it a great deal. . .[p]have a safe, and enjoyable holiday

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I appreciate the sentiment, but if you were a fireman at the station, and Stumpbaby came walking up in his cranium hat with a platter of meat, do you really think you'd feel safe? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    i think i'd know right then and there why my job as a fireman is secure for ever. . .and i'd probably appreciate his donation to me that much more. . . its always more meaningful to get a special gift from one with special needs, like the stumpster :-)

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Ohh..they know me down at the fire house alright...ahh..and something tells me that if'n I walked down there..even carryin a plate of meat..ther'd be some not nice whisperin...[p]It all started so innocently. We had recently moved to New Hampshire. Late one night, as I was lying in bed..my wife fast asleep next to be..I started to smell something that reminded me of petroleum. I woke me wife up..saying something along the lines of "hunny ..do you smell that?"..to which she replied.."Jeeze..not this again..open a window..and grow up"...apparently she thought I was gonna repeat the time I gave her the dutch oven treatment..I should say the one and ONLY time...I gave her the dutch oven treatment..I saw the devil that night my friend..and it ain't pretty. [p]So..I shook her awake again and explained to her that I really did smell something bad..and asked her if she smelled anything..to which..once she shook the sleep out of her head..replied that she did indeed smell something. We both walked all around the house..trying to determine the root cause of this mystery odor. In the basement, where my oil heating system is..the smell was the worst..although I couldn't determine the cause of the smell..we both decided that, to be on the safe side, we would call the fire department.[p]When I spoke with them (BTW, it was somewhere around midnight..and the Peterborough FD is an all volunteer force, so I was basically waking everybody up) I explained the problem and asked them if they could just send a person down to check it out for us..without sending the entire force and waking all the neighbors. The person on the phone said they could send a "descreet" unit just to check it out. I thanked them and we both waited..and to my surprise..2 police cars, 1 ambulance, and 3 fire trucks come screaming down the road..all with full lights and sirens..and essentially blocked off the road with this huge array of emergency equipment.[p]I went to the door, and as the first fireman walked up to the door...the first thing he said was "smells like a skunk around here"...ahh..something inside me just sank..as I realized..with that one little statement..what that smell was...and what a Joe Willy Neckbone I had been..and immediately after that..I heard my wife scamper upstairs..obviously hearing the firemans remarks..and not wanting to be seen as part of this now obviously silly drill. Ahh..the next 25 minutes were pure torture..as..I gave the fireman the obligatory tour of the basement..and heard them say over and over.."think it's just a skunk"...and sure enough..off..they went..with many apologies from me, of course. Ahh..but just when I began to forget about it..a week later...out comes the local paper.....[p]Ahh..the life of a Stump.[p]StumpBaby (Proud contributor to the PFD firemans fund)