Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--For those with Travel Trailers

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious as to what manufacturers do you prefer or which is better than the other. Tossing around the idea of getting one in the next couple of years, to be able to take some vacations with the family, so starting to research. Have heard that Fleetwood and a few others are out of business. So if the economy recovers in a couple of years would like to maybe get one. Have to start prepping the wife on the idea now. Also what size truck and what size would you suggest for a beginner.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Shasta's and the 50 and 60 are my favorites :):whistle:
    Picture213Small-1.jpg
    our late 50's with our 71 Ranger
    Picture232Small.jpg
    our son hauling our early 60's Shasta with his Ranger LOL we sold that this fall and have an older one to redo now. Julie
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    they make you learn to love tailgating with that tiny a space :)
    Picture738Small.jpg
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I have a KZ 26ft travel trailer toy hauler.

When it comes to a decision, you need to decide how many people, what you are taking, truck capacity, etc.
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Options
    How about a Teardrop Trailer! Only sleeps two but you can take a tent for the kids.
    album_pic.php?pic_id=47066
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Buster Dog what do you tow that with.
    Tripmaker-Wife would definitely not go for that :)
    Told her that if the family doesn't get on board the idea then I would get something just for me. :laugh:
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Not a travel trailer but I love my Jayco Recon.

DSC00200.jpg
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    If you're looking for vacation grade, there are quite a few used trailers down my way for sale.

These for the most part, were used by home owners while their Hurricane Ike damaged homes were being rebuilt.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    AlwaysGolf, the choices are really almost endless. Since you are looking a couple of years down the road I would suggest going to a few Sport, Boat, and Travel shows in your area and check out the different Brands and the different models and setups offered. If you already have a tow vehicle be sure to only look at trailers within the towing and load capacities, it has happened many times that people end up with more trailer than their vehicle should be towing. We have owned a couple of trailers and really have enjoyed them. Was looking to retire and upgrade in a couple of years but looks like that might be delayed, both the economy and I will need to do some recovering before that can happen. ;) Mike
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    TNmike--was doing exactly that. RV show in a couple of weeks in Austin. Plus was thinking of buying a truck maybe next year and didn't want to have to upgrade just because I got a trailer. Liket the K-Z and Forest River. I was told/read to avoid te manufacturers that are going or have went under.
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Options
    She might go for it. My wife was a bit skeptical at first but in 2007 we took a two week trip to Yellowstone and she loved it. Queen size bed in front and outdoor galley in rear. We use to have a pop-up and ended up spending a bunch of time taking everything out to cook and then putting it all beck in later on. Guess it depends if you are looking to camp or have all of the comforts of home. Best part of the teardrop is it only weighs 1400 lbs. and uses little gas to pull it. I sometimes forget it is back there, then look in the mirror and think someone is tailgating me. Like someone else said take your time, go to a bunch of shows to check out all the options, then decide what is right for you.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Hey AG

There is a lot to consider when getting a camping setup. I have been camping in them most of my life.

1. The size depends on how many you are trying to sleep and what you wil be doing if it rains.
    2. The style depends on what you want to pull it with.

I hear good things about Forest River. My friends have a Cardinal by Forest River. Quality seems to be good in them.

Which ever you decide on, I would encourage you to make sure it has a slide out. It's amazing how much difference it makes in the room.

We currently have a Starcraft Aurba. It is the second box style bumper pull trailer we have had. My top choice is Airstream. We have owned a few of them and I believe they are the best of the best. The only reason we don't have one now is because our kids are getting bigger and Airstream really is designed for 2 people to get on the road and stay there. When the kids quit camping with us we will get another.

As far as tow vehices, you should get a 3/4 ton for anything over 24 ft. If you get up in the 28 to 34 ft lengths I'd consider a deisel. No sense not having the power you need in those north Ga. mountains.

Good luck and maybe we will see ya'll out there in the woods some day. ;)
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.

JoJo thanks, will probably only be trying to sleep 5 at the max and that is because son is 18 and has his own agenda and friends. So that leaves me and wife and daughter and maybe an occassional guest. Good info about truck needed as I will probably get a truck way before the trailer. I just like researching stuff well in advance and like being informed.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    The story behind Fleetwood, is that Coleman was the original builder, then Colman sold out to Fleetwood but kept the same factory and employees. Still built a superior product. Fleetwood did sell out back to Coleman, so you are still looking at the same product. Just a brief history on the whole thing. If you need more information please don't hesitate to contact me. I love my Fleetwood.

100_1105.jpg