Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first pork butt yesterday. Sorry no pics. Almost a bust though. Was expecting a 14hr or so cook. The butt weighed in at just over 5lbs. Followed green egg cookbook directions with indirect cook at 230 degrees, it said 6-9 lbs approx 18 hrs. Not sure why I woke up at 2am but decided to check on it and it was at 198 so i waited about 20 min until it reached 200 took it off the egg foiled it and went back to sleep. This morning i unfoiled it pulled it and now I am pacing back and forth waiting to eat it. When warming up do ya'll toss it in sauce or not?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Congrats on your first over nighter, as many have said pork buts are done when they are done and they can go faster, on schedule or over time.
    Some sauce when reheating and some don't. I like to reheat in a pan on the stove and put som classic coke in to help keep it moist. You will not taste the coke at all. I have tried many was and this is what I like and that is what is most important. You and your family need to be happy with what you do. Try it diffrent ways!
    Enjoy you pork, it will be great it's from an Egg.
    JJ :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Agree with JJ on your post.

Congratulations on a successful over "almost" nighter.

When reheating we rarely bring it to more than 100º or body temp before we start piling it on the buns!
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. We have had many overnite cooks but they have always been brisket and always on time. I just assumed pork was as predictable. I guess you could chalk it up to luck that i woke up but personally i think the delicious smells not to mention the thought of losing such a wonderful meal. Anyway I will give the coke a try.
  • Hsbldr1
    Options
    I'm thinking a Bar-B-Que Brunch I don't think I will make it to lunch.