Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - Where's the Flavor

NWester
NWester Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's my 65th day with my new green oval friend so I figured it was time for my first Baby Back cook. I went with a pretty basic 3-1-1, stuck on 250 dome the whole time, direct during the last hour and lightly basted with BBQ sauce the last 30 minutes. I started with Costco ribs with a spritz of apple juice followed by a Steve Raichlen rub from scratch. Ribs came out moist and tender with a beautiful smoke ring so I think time and temp were right on. The problem was they just didn't have much flavor. I used hickory chunks high and low in the fire and started with some apple wood chips on top.

I hope I've given all you experienced Eggers the info you need to help diagnose my problem and flavor up my next rack. I should disclose that this was my first rib cook of any kind, ever, and I'm not very experineced in eating them either. The Pacific NW is more aligned with salmon than good BBQ.

Comments

• My guess is you had a rub problem. Maybe it was not flavorful enough, or maybe you did not use enough. I have never heard of spritzing the ribs before applying the rub, maybe that's it. If they turned out moist and tender you are more than halfway home.
  • Two things

1) Consider a light dusting of a high quality salt at the end of the cook in between the last 30 min. glazing.. Fleur de Sel salts are a great help.. I starting doing this in competitions and I began placing better than ever before in this category.

2) How would you describe the rub in flavor profile and the qty you are using (light, ,med. heavy). MAy need to tweak a few key ingredients and up the qty.
  • I'm pretty new to this game so I couldn't begin to describe the flavor profile of the rub, it's Steve Raichlen's basic BBQ rub. I will say I used it on beef kabobs last night it was fantastic, will definitely use again. I'd guess the qty of rub was at least medium, I worked it in pretty good but it may have taken more if I would have tried harder.

The only other thing I didn't mention before was that I used the drip pan dry, I know some us apple juice or other liquids.

Sounds like I should save the rub for beef kabobs and look into another one for my next rib cook.
  • Check my post cotes de porc french canadian style, these were so... flavorful. check the rub. By the way I have posted 45 min over the pan with water it was 1.45

enjoy

JF
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    I would suggest using a different rub or putting it on at least 3 to 4 hours and allowing it to sit in the fridge along with some yellow mustard for a few hours prior to putting on the egg. You should let that rub get into the meat for a while. ;)B)
  • DSC_0211-1.jpg

take this, beleive me these are awesome babes

JF
  • Mine looked just like that and I even have the same roasting rack.
  • What flavor was missing? Smokiness or the rub? I've always applied the rub straight to the meat or used yellow mustard to hold on the rub and let everything rest for at least a couple of hours to overnight.
    Since you used the same rub on beef kabobs earlier, I can't guess old spices loosing their potency. A basic 3-1-1 has an hour in foil, right? mabe you added to much liquid and the spices ran off? I've never done this way so not sure if it is possible.
    What's in the rub?
  • I like to slather the ribs with cheap yellow mustard prior to applying my rub. Let it rest. This serves as a base to hold the rub but also imparts a bit of a vinegar twant to the meat. One more tip that works well for me, on the second 1 of the 3-1-1 method, not sure what liquid you used, but a good bit of honey on the meat side of the ribs hold the rub in place as well. Hope this helps.
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    I keep it simple when I cook baby backs. Removing the membrane is a must. Rub goes on the night before. Then in the BGE at 250 for four hours with some hickory chunks. I check on them during the last hour but generally 4 hours does it. No foil or foil tent, no basting or spritzing. They come out moist and tender every time. Once the temperature is stabilized it is almost impossible to mess up with the BGE.
  • Is the 450 direct or indirect with plate setter and drip pan??? Sounds like the way I like BBBacks, but 1st and only BGE attempt left them too dry. Thanks, B)
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Thats 250. I cook mine at 250 indirect with platesetter legs up and dry drip pan (usually a disposable aluminum pizza pan. I go for 5 hours with sauce (I recommend Blues Hog) for the last 30 minutes). If they were dry my guess is that you did not cook long enough. The tried and true method of "picking up the rack in the middle with tongs and if they start to break apart then they are done" has not failed me yet.
  • NWester
    NWester Posts: 22
    Thanks for the input everybody. Sounds like my problem was I didn't give the rub nearly enought time to penetrate the meat. I think I'll take care of that the night before next time. I'll also think about the yellow mustard too, I know it's not supposed leave a mustard taste, but yellow mustard is just one of the few things that I do not like.

I'm gonna go back to smoe proven successful cooks, smoke some salmon and then a tri tip
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Strange about there being little flavor. Maybe the pig just didn't have much flavor and it showed. Did you not taste the pork or the spices?

You may want to try buying ribs from a local butcher and giving them a go.