Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a good/quality replacement thermometer!

Options
sam
sam Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family bought me a Big Green egg (medium) for my birthday. I LOVE MY Big Green egg however, the thermometer lens blew off the base and broke. I need to replace the thermometer, don't want a cheap one, I need a good QUALITY/ACCURATE unit. Any suggestions where I can buy a replacement thermometer online that is meant to fit the smoker?[p]THANKS!
Sam

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm2.jpg
    <p />Sam,[p]The plastic faced ones did have a problem and they need a spacer under them to keep the dial away from the hot dome - or the plastic face warps and pops off.[p]Bge has a new metal/glass themometer that is much better. Contact your dealer or Bge for a replacement. [p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sam,
    I got tired of futzing around with the cheapo thermometers too. Go to TelTru thermometers at the link below and order one of these:[p]ITEM 1
    Product No: 31100465A2LA6AA
    Model: BQ250
    Lead Time: Stock to 14 days
    Details: 2" Dial, 4" Stem x .250" Diam., 150/750 Degrees F Temp. Range, Flat bushing w/clip fastener accessory
    Product Price: $28.00[p]You'll have to enlarge the hole in the dome to 1/4", but that's no problem and takes just a minute with any decent drill bit.[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

[ul][li]TelTru Thermometers[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Sam,
    These are the very best. You need a model with a 4 inch stem that goes from 100-750. They are spot-on accurate, heavy duty and indestructable. You will need to drill out the thermometer hole about 1-2 mm. I have them in both of my eggs. Have fun.

[ul][li]Thermometers[/ul]
  • sam
    sam Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Chuck![p]Wow Tel Tru has sure has a LOT of thermometers. I bought online the LT225R (say's it is for the Big Green egg) and it was even on sale, appreciate the tip and can't wait to get mine.[p]Have a great holiday weekend, thanks again.
    Sam[p]

[ul][li]Tel Tru big green egg BBQ thermometers[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sam,
    That thermometer must be a new one, I never noticed that before. Is it sealed and waterproof like the other one? Also, the BQ250 is guaranteed accurate and has no adjustment to get out of whack. At any rate, Teltru makes good stuff and I'm sure it'll work great![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    FAQ_do3.jpg
    <p />Sam, I'll go with Tim M on this one - I've been using the new glass faced one from BGE since it was released (03/09/2001) - never another problem.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]