Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger recipes

Options
ajw1976
ajw1976 Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have family coming over for the holiday. They've asked that I cook burgers, hotdogs and sausage. Are there any burger recipes that you'd suggest?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ajw1976,
    i believe in keeping it simple. . .kosher salt and pepper on the patty, then into the egg. . .. while things like cow lick are also good, when i tried to put anything more than the salt and pepper on mine, my family balked. . .prefering the the taste of the plain burgers to those that have been jazzed up (in this case, the KISS principal prevailed, i.e. Keep It Simple Stupid). . .[p]since you are also doing sausages, you should do up a nice batch of sliced peppers and onions in your egg (do you have a grill wok, or other 'holed' pan, like a fish pan?). ..toss the onions and peppers in some oil and vinager (either make your own, or use something like Newman's Own Oil and Balsamic vinager dressing), then throw them in the egg toss them till soft and tender. ..they'd be great on the burgers or the sausages. . .[p]good luck[p]max

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    PC290001.JPG
    <p />ajw1976,
    Bergers are by far my favorite grilled food. So much can be done to make a great burger...size, ingredients, ect...
    I prefer "meatloaf" style burgers. Being that you will be cooking for people you dont normally cook for I wouldnt suggest going to crazy with ingredients....just like MAX said go simple with salt/pepper to assure everyone will be satisfied. But if you want expand you horizens try the method I use at JETS tailgate parties: Eggs,kosher salt, black pepper, fresh onions, garlic, parsley, and oregeno. Mix well tegether and mold into 1/3 - 1/2 lbs patties. Add a little cyanne for a little kick in you feel a little daring. Cook at 500* for 6 min a side.
    ST
    [/b]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    burgers.jpg
    <p />Just about to go on the bun. I prefer soft italian rolls with fresh slices of tomatos...NO KATCHUP!
    ST
    [/b]
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    ajw1976,[p]a suggestion - smoke the burgers with a bit of "red oak" - this gives a great smokey taste - "imho" this really adds flavor to burgers
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    now i understand why jets fans look the way they do when they pan the crowd during a game. . .i always thought that look was a result of the poor play of the jets (who haven't been worth a damn since 'weeb' left. .hee) . .or at worst, due to the lovely meadowlands air quality. . . .now i know it was just the 'burgers'. . .LOL. .. .[p](actually, they look damn good. . ..and while i used my own recipe, your meatloaf setup worked great here as well last week, thanks). . ..[p]enjoy your weekend[p]max

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    ajw1976, I have been mixing blue or feta (or last night gargongolia sp???) cheese with my burgers before cooking. Also, I have often put in chopped onion. And last night, I mixed in a little "Cow Lick" with the burgers as well. Use about 1/3 pound of total mix (onions, cheese and burger) to form a patty. Try to keep the patty edges thicker than the center. That way they don't shrink up into little balls as much. I normally cook about three minutes a side at 500-600 and then "dwell" (all vents closed) for about four minutes. That's ten minutes total and provides a well done (but juicy) hamburger.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    ajw1976,
    I like to keep it really simple on burgers. I make six ounce patties of ground chuck. Splash them with Worcestershire sauce, and a generous coating of Montreal Steak seasoning. Grill at about 550-600 for about 4 minutes per side. They are also good with Cow Lick rub.[p]~nikki

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I wholeheartedly agree. Beef tastes wonderful, doesn't it?
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I believe that Darryl instructed you not to post this photo again. I guess that we are going to have to start the fund after all <smilie thingie>.
    ps>> could you repost or link me to your meatloaf receipe?[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    SSDawg,
    you got that right dawg. ..we tend to be minimalists around here when it comes to spicing meat and fish . . .like to let the taste of the meat come through. . .although we have all become converts to dizzy pig ribs. . .[p]oh, and one thing i forgot for ajw 1976. .. NEVER< NEVER, press on the burger when its on the grill. ..all you'll do is squeeze out all that great juice . ..i've found that on the egg (way more than my old weber). . .that even a well done burger will retain a lot of juice when done on the egg. . [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    ajw1976,[p]as if you needed more advice...[p]I use a marinade/steak sauce/worcestershire (whatever), an egg, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and maybe some garlic powder. If everybody wants onions on their burgers, I'd just as soon chop some and add that to the mix as well, but thats an unusual crowd that all agree on onions.[p]You mentioned doing sausages also. You might chop up some sausage and add that to the burger mix before its pattied on a few of them and see how you like that. I think its pretty good.[p]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    dan c,
    E2K+3 Meatloaf Recipe:For Large Party
    Ingredients:
    6 lbs ground 80% beef
    1 LB Meatloaf mix (beef, pork, lamb) I would have much rathered to 1 lb of pork and 1 lb of lamb, but mix was all the store had at the time)
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup kosher salt(add to your liking. I felt the Eggfest loaf needed more salt)
    20 oz bottle BBQ sauce(I used Teddy Bear Secret recipe Sauce..highly reccomended...www.teddybearbbq.com)
    1/2 lb carrots
    1/2 lb celery
    2 finely chopped onions
    1 cup jarred chopped garlic
    2 oz cup dried basil
    8 oz dried parsley
    2 oz dried oregano
    1/4 cup black pepper
    Prep: In a mixing bowl put all meat and mix eggs + BBQ sauce with hand.
    Then take the meat mix and spread out(i used a large cutting board) and add rest of ingredients to assure that every part of meat gets ingredients.
    Place on Egg at 340 * for about 2 hrs 15 min for internal temp to 160. If using all beef cook until internal temp of 140. Hickory mixed with applewood would be a good combo for smoking wood. ABout 1/2 hr before taking off brush a generous amount of BBQ sauce on top and sides.[p]ST
    [/b]
  • dan c
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Thx, Todd. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    dan c,
    No problem. Sorry about the format. I have no idea why it posted the way it did..in paragraph form rather then list.
    [/b]
  • dan c
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    No worries, they taught me to read left to right in school :) What are you cooking over the holiday? I think I'll do some steaks Sat, meatloaf (thx again) Sunday and yardbird Monday. Easy Life on the steak, Gilded Splinters or Wicked Grin on the 'bird.

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    dan c,
    Im doing chicken leg quarters and pork spares on Sunday for an immediate family get tegether at my brothers house. Still not sure what rub I want to use. He's gonna take care of the burgers(frozen kind though :( )and dogs. Not sure what others are going to do.
    I forgot to mention that Gilded Splinters is an EXCELLENT ingredient to meatloaf/burgers, given it's great balance of celery and other seasonings. I have to play around with the quantities in the future, but it will definatly play a role in my meatloaf. Had that stuff on my burgers last Sunday. Certianly worth having.
    ST
    [/b]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Actually it's the Giants fans that are the problem. They use their meatloag burgers to throw at the players when there are no snowballs to use. LOL
    [/b]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    almost forgot about them playing there too. ...enough smelly stuff between those two teams to even wake up jimmy hoffa in the east end zone!! hee hee

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    I hope you get to see this - the thread isn't very current! What temp do you cook your burgers? I have been cooking mine like steak - high temp sear on both sides then dwell with some mesquite or Jack Daniels chips for a little smoke at the end. I like your suggestion, but am not sure how to implement it. How do you do it?