Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost my fire overnight....I am in butt trouble

Options
CAT Seller
CAT Seller Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Long story short, I put a 7 lb. butt on last night about 9:30 PM. I had the dome temp set at 230 degrees and I continued to watch it for about 3 hours after I put it on. The dome temp was still 'dead on' at 230 at midnight. I figured the fire was set and I could get some sleep. I kissed it good night at Midnight, and went to bed.

I woke up at 6 AM this morning, and my fire was out. Internal temp of the butt was 95 degrees, but I had no flame. I do not know what happened.
Question, do you think my meat is still good?

I figured I had nothing to loose, so I restarted the fire and the cook is continuing. But I am unsure if my meat is still good?

What do ya'll think?
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would toss it and order pizza... no use tempting fate if you don't have to.. ;)

try another tonight and shoot for 250 dome and check it every 3 hours and you should be fine ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the neighborhood. It's a real drag that your first post has to be a "Help, my fire went out" one......I like to see the "Wow, this is the best butt ever" posts.

You are definately skirting the food safety issue, did you by any chance take an internal temperature of the butt when you checked on it at midnight?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CAT Seller
    Options
    Thirdeye, this butt is about #15 for me, and all the ones before this have been outstanding.
    Internal temp of butt midnight was 75 degrees; dome was 230.
    I am thinking with in internal temp of 95 degrees this am, it still had some heat in it, not much, but some.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    CAT Seller wrote:
    Long story short, I put a 7 lb. butt on last night about 9:30 PM. I had the dome temp set at 230 degrees and I continued to watch it for about 3 hours after I put it on. The dome temp was still 'dead on' at 230 at midnight. I figured the fire was set and I could get some sleep. I kissed it good night at Midnight, and went to bed.

I woke up at 6 AM this morning, and my fire was out. Internal temp of the butt was 95 degrees, but I had no flame. I do not know what happened.
    Question, do you think my meat is still good?

I figured I had nothing to loose, so I restarted the fire and the cook is continuing. But I am unsure if my meat is still good?

What do ya'll think?

What was the pit temperature when you woke up? If it was in the 190+ range you should be fine, if it had fallen below that you may want to pitch it. In all reality chances are you would be perfectly fine as long as you take it all the way to 200 internal but I can't be held responsible if you end up a bit queasy.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Okay, you knew it was 75° at midnight, and 6 hours later is was 95°.....and during this 6 hours the pit temp was obviously falling. I think I would toss it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RCflier
    Options
    That has happened to me both times I've done PP before, and I have rebuilt the fire and continued, both turned out well.

figuring it dropped slowly in those 6 hours, I would still eat it, but that's me.

Luckily, for the first time, the butt I put on last night is still going strong, woke up to a dome temp of 210, but opened it up and came back to life. :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I think you need to check your dome thermometer, I'm guessing it is reading on the high side. After 2 1/2 hours you should have had a higher internal temp than 75 degrees. I did 4 8+lbs butts last night and after 2 hours they were at 140 internal. -RP