Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't Spin My Wheel!

BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since 95% of the Egging I do is of 'low and slow' variety, my old style daisy wheel has become gummed up to the point where it won't spin open until it's heated up. Loosening top screw doesn't help. It's the gummy stuff that has it sealed. Wondering which approach is best for cleaning this black gum off:
a) Put wheel on grid and get a good roaring fire going (waste of lump?)
b) Put wheel in self-cleaning oven and let 'er rip (would it start fire, or smoke to high heaven?)
c) Use a chemical de-greasing compound (compromise the finish or leave bad odor?)
d) Something entirely different?
Suggestions and opinions much appreciated.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    BBQfan1,
    Dip it in a solution of 50/50 household ammonia/water. Then rinse it off real well with the garden hose. Put it back on the dome and let 'er rip! Worked for me and still does![p]Dr. Chicken

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Dr. Chicken,
    I just put mine in a bag with straight ammonia and left it to sit for 2 days. I cleaned it up good with mild soap and warm water and it cleaned up slick as a whistle.
    JimW

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    JimW,
    I use industrial strength Aqua ammonia. It eats all the gunk, but not too many people would have access to it like I do. This question came up last year, in late summer I believe. I watered down household ammonia to see if it would do the job too. It does! It didn't destroy the paint either. Did it with yours?[p]Dr. Chicken

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Dr. Chicken,
    No. The Paint is just like new.
    JimW

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    BBQfan1,[p]Well I use to worry some about such things. Now here is what an old hand does with Miss Daisy. Place her on top of Mr. Egg (the preferred position). Grip your ash tool firmly in your dominate hand and rap the **** upside her ear (you know the flange that sticks up in the air). It is amazing how well them contrary pieces listen when you get their attention first. That little top will spin like a wind mill in a class 5 storm and you don't have to waste time cleaning it. [p]Now before the hate mail starts rolling in let me explain that I was raised a Southern Gentleman and do not,nor would not strick one of our more sensative member of the human race that I still like to refer to as a Lady. No no no never, this treatment is reserved for the most contrary of hound dog caught sucking eggs, Jack Asses of any race or breed and Miss Daisy.[p]Well here is my advise. I don't want to get caught close to anything that my wife, which I must point out is a Lady, would, could or might think could be used to do house cleaning. She might get the wrong idea. :-))[p]Get their attention first and their hearts will follow,
    (Miss Daisy)[p]Elder Ward

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Elder Ward,[p]I haven't seen many posts from you lately, just a few here and there over the past few days. I must admit you're in rare form EW. Great to hear from you, it sure made my AM this Wednesday. I just can't erase that mental picture of you negotiating with "Miss Daisy" using your ash tool. That thing does have a million uses, make that a million and one now.[p]Troy
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Elder Ward,
    Words to live by, spoken from the master. We call that the "**** Slap" My wife uses it on me when I don't mind.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Elder Ward,[p]I use a less colorful, but more politically correct, version of your technique. ;-}[p]Just drop that daisy on the deck (mine's brick), from a height of a foot or so. It comes unstuck right away.[p]Good to see you posting again -[p]Cathy