Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've got GAS

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I'm a newbie and was thinking of buying a plate setter. Are they really that useful? I already have a V-rack and a drip pan. Is this all I really need? I don't anticipate cooking pizza anytime soon....can't have carbs :( .....Atkins[p]I was thinking of cooking a Boston butt this weekend. Any suggesitons of set up?[p]Thanks for y'alls help

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Brad,
    Well, if you truly have GAS, then you will get the plate setter, even if you will never use it! You may be expected to cook pizza for others, though. And it is quite useful as a ceramic barrier for indirect cooks if you don't have fire bricks or some other setup.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Brad,
    Like TNW says, if you've got GAS, then you need to get a plate setter. Probably a pizza stone too.
    The plate setter makes it even easier to do indirect cooks than firebricks.
    What else are you thinking you 'need'?

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    What do "fire Bricks" do?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Brad,
    I laughed when I saw your post caption. "Don't we all," I thought. He He Then I saw what you meant. Blush... Get used to it. It's the price we pay for our cooking hobby. I second the suggestions already presented and will even go so far to say, get all the accessories because sooner or later you will use them. I even have a backup roll of felt to replace my gasket when the time comes. [p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    Brad,[p]Get the platesetter (yes, its that useful) and put it legs up with your drip pan on top of it, then the grill, then your v-rack (or not) with the boston butt on it. Low heat for a looooong time.[p]Oh, add some wood chips to your order, and pick up a polder thermometer so you can keep track of the internal temp without always lifting the lid and poking it.[p]Good luck!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Brad,
    We all have that problem.
    Larry

[ul][li]Cooking Toys[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Brad,
    They are high temperature bricks used in the construction of fireplaces, among other things. You can use them to add ceramic mass and to shield food from the fire for indirect cooking. They come in full sized bricks and half-high bricks known as splits. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Grillhauberichtlinien
    Options
    Brad,
    I'm on low carb and I still make pizza from time to time. I use some of the low carb bread mixes or recipes for low carb bread. You can't eat the whole pizza but it's better than no pizza. Low carb pizza tastes great on the grill loaded with lots of meat and cheese.[p]I also use the plate setter for cooking pork butts and brisket and beer can chicken and turkey and ribs and.....

• Unknown
    Options
    Grillhauberichtlinien,
    Sounds like a great idea. I guess I need to go back to the store. :) I picked up the plate setter (only) about the time when when you were responding. Now I need the pizza stone :)[p]This is a FUN toy!