Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Put Me Off Tri-Tip

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was chatting with my local butcher the other day and asked him about the tri-tip. He showed me what part of the sirloin it comes from, and suggested that it isn't really all that good. He said something to the effect that it is getting popular with southwestern barbecue chefs that are known for making tasty Q from some rather tough pieces of meat (flank steak comes to mind). He said that in the past it has been avoided and mostly showed up in the "ground sirloin" packages next to the hamburger.[p]So, what's the big deal? Is it really worth cooking one up? Why would I choose that over a more well known cut? This reminds me of an Atlantic fish called the Orange Ruffy. When I was a kid the Orange Ruffy was a trash fish. You couldn't pay someone to eat one. Someone reinvented it as having "lobster-like" meat, and now they're $10 a pound![p]As my daddy used to say, "Squirrel is just a rat with a good advertising plan."[p]BBS

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    tritip.jpg
    <p />BBQBluesStringer,[p]I have to disagree with your butcher. Properly seasoned/marinated and sliced across the grain after grilling, this is one tasty and tender piece of meat.[p]I should not be alone in this opinion?[p]K~G

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    While we are on the subject, the butcher I asked told me that it was nothing more than a sirloin tip roast. No one around here has ever heard of a tri tip. Is this the case? If not, how can I describe the cut to the meat purveyor?[p]Jim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    JSlot,
    Here's a link that tells what else it is called.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Beef Loin Cuts[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I've been grilling tri-tips now for about 6 months. I find them to be a juicy and tender cut of meat. I pay somewhere between $4.50 to $5.99 a pound for this cut. It cooks up real nice.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    KennyG, Looking at that photo brother, I'll second that opinion all day!!! What did you marinate that behemouth in?
  • Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I guess that it could be a tough cut of meat but so is brisket. If cooked properly they will end up tasting great. A did a couple of them about two weeks ago and IMHO, they rock and are always well received.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• KennyG
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]I was inspired by old friend, Grillin' Bill's recipe in the archives. Overnight in Wishbone "Robusto" Italian salad dressing. Just before grilling, I rubbed with Dizzy Dust Cowlick steak seasoning and then seared first at high heat.
    The balance of the cook was done in a 400° Egg until about 135° internal and then a 10 minute rest.[p]This piece was used in my Waldorf chili. As big as it looked, this was only 1.5 lbs. of meat once chopped up.[p]K~G

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Thanks, Nikki!!! And thanks to you and Rick for the package that arrived the other day, too! You should be receiving one soon![p]Jim
  • KennyG
    Options
    nikkig,[p]I echo JSlot's sentiments about the care package. Thanks a ton! and be watching your snail mail.[p]K~G

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I first cooked on the Big green Egg at the 1999 eggtoberfest. I cooked a couple of tri tips. It is the bottom butt of the top sirloin. I prefer to sear the outside, then dwell with lid down, untill internal temp is 125. Let rest and slice this across grain like Kenny did in his picture. I buy it by the case (about 75 lbs), cut the fa caps off, vacume seal and freeze until ready to use. I've paid as little as $1.35 and as much as $2.80. its cheaper in the winter. Vacum sealed Ive used 6-8 months later. Its the best meat, flavorful and cheap to serve at a lare dinner party. Look for my recipe in octoberfest 1999 Recipe section. You dont have to do any thing fancy to season. Its great seasoned with coarse kosher salt and black pepper before grilling.[p]I beg to differ with your butcher. [p]Grillin Bill[p]

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Your butcher would be wrong.
    Tri-tip is a quite flavorful cut of meat. He most likely doesn't care to push it because there are only two cut per carcass and not much profit to be made.
    Ignore him and give it a try.

[ul][li]tri-tip[/ul]
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    So, I'm getting the idea that you treat this somewhat like a london broil. Cook it to medium rare or so, and slice across the grain? It's not really roasting material, or something that you would do in a low-n-slow?

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I did one as a low and slow a while back because I had a prok butt on at the same time. I took the temp up to about 165° and then let rest for about 20 minutes. It didn't have that nice pink center that I am accustomed to but it did taste very good and was not dry at all. Either way seems to be quite delectable.[p]Matt.

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    In California, when I was there most people there cooked it low and slow. Ive cooked it low and slow but I prefer it med rare. It works both ways.[p]Grillin Bill

• Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Well, you can tell your butcher it is not a Sirloin Tip Roast. It is Bottom Sirloin Roast.[p]Pete