Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Charcoal?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seem to be running out of fuel on longer burns (~8 hours) in my large Egg; Apparently I need to start with more charcoal. About how much BGE charcoal would you use for this length of cook?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    stickbow, fill it to the top of the fire box plus a little more or in other words to the bottom of the fire ring. Even if you put in too much it doesn't mean you have wasted it since once you snuff the fire it stops burning and you'll use it the next time.
    I'm afraid the part of the BGE cookbook which is one of the stupidest pages is suggesting you need not use much lump and how a bag will last for months!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    stickbow,
    The last time I did a long cook, I filled the egg up to 1/2 way up the fire ring. After 21 hours, there was about 30% left.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,thanks for pointing that out. I'm new to all this and was wondering how I could cook for months on a handful of charcoal! I was beginning to think I had a charcoal bandit at night..