Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Disappointment

Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This should be taken as a serious warning to new Eggers: be prepared to be dissapointed with other barbeque. I managed to finally hit a local joint whose owner literally has a wall covered with all the awards he's won for his Q. Even won state championship at the state fair.[p]Well, I decided to get a pulled pork plate lunch and see how the pros do it! To be frank, it wasn't all that good. Even the wife commented that what we do on the Egg is better. To be fair, I don't know the he ACTUALLY cooked the pork and lord knows I don't do 50lbs of it at a time (or more). A lttle TLC must have it's effect, but it's nice to know that even a clod like me can produce better pulled pork![p]Kelly

Comments

• Kelly Keefe,
    i know what you mean. . .eating at eggfests and que competitions and my own meager offerings on my egg have spoiled me against many restaurant foods. . .i used to love the baby back ribs at 'slades' here in northern va. . ..now they just taste soooo pedestrian. . .and unless i'm eating at mortons (which i can't afford very often). .. i'll just eat steak at home.. .good store bought steaks done the trex method are a whole lot better than most mid priced restaurants like outback (although i haven't tried doing my own blooming onion yet). . .[p]in the long run that investment in the bge has probably already paid for itself in money saved by not eating out!!. ..[p]hey, there is an even better reason to hit the wife with for wanting my second egg!!. .

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I was a big Morton's fan for a while. Their beef is dry-aged, which I can't do, but i'll tell you, they can't cook them as well as I do now. Even Morton's broils their steaks...[p]Now, if I can just find me a dry aged beef source near Boston....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I only ate at Morton's once (in Atl) and was not that impressed with their steaks...in fact I tend to like Outbacks steaks as good, or maybe better. I'll admit that I could have just had a bad experience since I only tried them once. The sad part was that I had a $100 gift certificate and my wife and I had entrees, dessert, coffee (no alcohol) and had to pay $46 dollars with the gift certificate...it just wasn't that good.[p]I'd much much much rather go to Fresh Market and get a couple of their hereford Filet mignons and fire those babies up than go out to eat...the food is better and I don't have to drive home with my pants unbuttoned. And instead of the $146...it's only about $20. [p]When you do that kinda math (as if I would pay that much every week-end...wrong) it doesn't take long to justify the cost of a ceramic cooker![p]Kurt
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Kelly Keefe,
    I made this same discovery not long after I got my egg as well. I think one thing is that after you've produced some very good meals of your own, you raise your own standards. And when the standards go up for yourself, you naturally compare to what you do. You beging to wonder if I can cook this good, what is the best out there and how do I compare. Then you begin searching out every bbq joint and taste some that is nowhere near as good as you cook. It's a vicious cycle. Just be glad your wife recognized that you cook better.

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Kelly Keefe,
    We had that experience on our last vacation, a week that started with Eggfest. Not only did we not eat any decent BBQ except that at the fest, and the fest parties, we didn't eat a single decent meal after eggfest! [p]We asked a Hotel clerk in Bristol, Va "what is good to eat around here?" She said "Oh, you have to try the place down the road, they are famous for the ribs, but everything is great!"[p]The place down the road SUCKED (especially the ribs ala Applebees). We also ate (at various places) shrimp, steak, meatloaf, fish, more shrimp, burgers, roast beef sandwiches, and I can't remember what else. They all paled in comparison to what was served up in Waldorf!
    [/b]
  • Kurt,[p]i agree that we can do just as well at home (although i have always had excellent meals at mortons, they are pricey. .. now i need to figure out how to do the godiva chocolate thing at home as well). . .read the thread from saturday night about me doing the steaks in butter in a modified trex method. ...[p]i am now buying whole tenderloins, and cutting them myself, usually into a nice 2# chateaubriand, 4 - 5 nice 2" fillets and the tips i'm saving and will probably add them to chili. . .i got a select grade (it was still tender and excellent) at the safeway for about $50.00, but now i found that i could get 'choice' at the costco for $8.79 a pound (again, around $50.00 for the whole tenderloin). . . .for that price i feed my family of 4 twice on spectacular tasting steak, cut exactly to the thickness i want it, w/ a little left over. . . .[p]it doesn't get much better than that :-)

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Kelly Keefe,[p]I understand completely. This is the very reason I used to ask for a "ground floor" room, with patio door, at the cheap hotels my company mandated I stay at when traveling. [p]I would cook my own meals on the Mini I kept in my trunk.[p]I had may go-rounds with the expense department as to why I turned in a grocery store receipt instead of a restaurant tab hehehe.[p]K~G

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Kelly Keefe,
    I have to agree, I did my very first boneless pork shoulder this weekend on a BGE that I purchased at the eggfest in Waldorf. I cooked it low and slow for over 14 hours.
    I have had pulled pork at quite a few places, and this was the best I have ever had. Going out for BBQ is no longer an option. Just like my wifes Italian cooking, I can not go out for Italian. This thing was a great investment! My wife said she is going to get jealous if I start dressing it in womens clothing.

• Kelly Keefe,
    Mrs. BBQBluesStringer used to love Sonny's Barbecue. She hasn't asked to go once since getting the egg.[p]BBS-

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I think you just made the mathematically correct arguement for an egg.[p]Kurt

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    StumpBaby,
    Almost sounds like you've been there!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Kelly Keefe,
    That is exactly why I dont go out for BBQ. BBQ, like most foods we like, is much better homemade.Of course when ya have to have a meal ready on demand as in a resturant it's going to be nearly as good as someone making it at home with not much of a time frame.
    Im also the same way with tomato sauce. I NEVER order tomato sauce with pasta at a resturant..always alphredo.
    ST
    [/b]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Kurt,[p]"I don't have to drive home with my pants unbuttoned"[p]That sounds like the place poppa goes to once in a while. Momma gets real mad when he goes there, I think it's cause she doesn't ever git invited..seems like only menfolk are allowed. I was listening to momma complainin to gramma...and..that must be some place...first of all from what I understand, they must not have cash registers there..cause seems like poppa has to bring a lot of one dollah bills with him..prolly to get as close to the right amount as possible..and that sure must be some big steaks they give too..to make poppa drive home with his pants all tight like that..but the strangest thing about that place is that for all folks that order the large steak..judging from what momma says..they must be given out the steers horns as well...although I ain't never seen poppa bring them home..it sure sounds like mommas seen em..and from what I can gather..she sure doesn't like them horns.[p]StumpBaby

• StumpBaby
    Log,[p]
    Only good thing bout that sperience was the next 3 days..I had to do daily applications of grammas amazin blazin burn balm. I don't know what she put in that, but it worked really well..course I had 3 goats followin me round quite closely for those days.[p]Ahh..the life os a Stump...[p]StumpBaby

• StumpBaby,[p]I guess I left myself wide open for that (and think I may have again).[p]Kurt
  • StumpBaby
    Kurt,[p]Sorry Kurt...it had to be done..what would a Stump be if'n he didn't take advantage of these opportunities ?[p]The mind is a terrible thing.....[p]StumpBaby

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Kurt, where is the 'Fresh Market' to which you refer?

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Kelly Keefe,
    Know what's even more disapointing? When they charge you $6.00 for pulled pork sandwitch when you can make an even better for for 79 cents a pound!

• Fairalbion,[p]3005 Old Alabama Road
    Alpharetta, GA 30022[p]Kurt

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I find that if you go to barbecue places where barbecue is a big part of life (the Carolinas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas, etc.) you can find great q. The best pulled pork I ever had was at a blues festival in Arkansas. You generally don't find those places where I live (Maryland). I can do better than the local chain places because I cook in small batches, and spend the time to do it right. The chain places are passable (and I don't think any of them boil their ribs), but I would much rather cook it myself.[p]I refuse to ever try the "pork bbq sandwich" the cafeteria at work serves.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    BobM,
    The charged more than that, but I DID get a side of equally disappointing slaw and a fairly good pickle. ;-)[p]Kelly

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Kelly Keefe,
    If ever in White Bluff TN, west of Nashville, try Carl's Perfect Pig. Next best thing to ceramic Q, maybe it even rivals it. Great ribs and fixin's.