Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how much lump?

Jazzman
Jazzman Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posed a question earlier about having trouble getting my egg up to temp, and some folks suggested I did not have enough lump to get nice and hot. Just the other day, I saw a thread where someone was saying to use LESS lump, the minimum needed. I forget who said it, but it seemed like it was some veteran who knew what they were doing. Is there a consensus on which is the right approach? I typically fill the fire box full, but for my problem cook, it was only half full. Should I fill each time? Only fill for "hot" cooks?

Comments

• I usuallly fill mine up, making sure that the larger pieces are on the bottom and moving smaller as I go up. this allows for better air movement and does not block the small holes in the bottom.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • also, what temp are you having trouble getting to
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I was told by the local distributors rep to always add a bit of new lump and keep it full to the top of the fire box. I ran into some trouble early on without enough coals. It's better to have coals left than to run out.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Jazzman
    For the last two years I've simply poured new lump on top of the unburned from the last cook until it reaches at least 1/2 way up the fire ring. A few "wiggles" on the bottom grate to shake the ashes out of the holes and I get a smooth burning fire. Only when I'm going to do a low'n'slow do I clean and stack the lump.
    Kent Madison MS
  • I always fill it up at least an inch or two over the holes in the side, for low and slow all the way up. Better to have lump for next time than run out. Jazzman if the amount of lump in your egg was your only variable, go back to what you were doing before. Good Luck.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Top of the firebox. You can always re-use what is left.

Just put the ceramic top back on and close the bottom vent.. Fire goes out
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    It was Nature Boy, el Jefe of Dizzy Pig and championship smoker. Might have some knowledge. :laugh:

Judging how much is enough can be tricky. A long cook is easy, you just fill it up. But, I try to do my roasts and steaks with a slightly smaller fuel load, which seems to get hot faster and burn a little cleaner. I believe the BGE documentation recommends always filling above the vent holes on the side of the box.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    After my first couple of cooks, when I cleaned out the Egg, I would get to that grate at the bottom and find about 30% of my holes blocked with tiny little pieces of lump. After reading a few threads about starting a fire, I learned that if you stack the big pieces at the bottom, it helps keeps those little pieces from plugging up the holes and blocking airflow.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    you probably seen one of my posts, im a fan of direct cooking and avoid indirect setups because inderect setups burn more lump. with certian direct cooks you need a maximum distance between the lump and food so i use minimum amounts of lump and raised grill setups. chicken, duck, ribs, jerkey are typical direct cooks using this method for me. i did this butt just to see what could be done, theres a lot of advice here and over time you will find which works for you the best. benefits of direct cooks are less lump consumption and great bbq smells. i used to burn over 400 pounds of lump a year, i burn less than half of that now so anyone who says the lump savings isnt enough to warrant the change in methods just doesnt cook enough or has lots of disposable cash.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=507801&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Basically the same thing I do. I do knock it around a little and shake some of the ash out every time I light my egg.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    BTW I use a turbo grate. It makes it easier to knock the ash out if nothing else.