Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

PIZZA NEWBIE tips

SeideggerSeidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to make pizza for the family for the first time...any cooking tips? We have our ingredients ready to go...probably looking for a thin crust feel.
·

Comments

• Also, forgot to add, I have platesetter, egg stone, metal pizza baking tray that goes on stone and under pizza (no bge feet as they are on the bottom of my egg over the paver on the table) and a pizza peel with cornmeal to prevent sticking...
    ·
  • If you are doing a thin crust pizza, you shouldn't need a pizza baking tray. You put corn meal on the stone and then just slip the pizza on to it. If you are referring to the pizza screen, then forget what I said.
    you might want to check out this link, if you already haven't: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

Happy pizza making.

ross
    ·
  • I meant pizza screen...
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,308
    Seidegger, this is a very basic pizza dough slideshow which should give you a starting point, click the first picture. The second one is just pizzas, no recipes:

th_IMG_2497.jpg

th_IMG_1839.jpg
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Dude, The zippster is the KING OF Egg Pizzas...follow his advice...Da boy can trow down a pie! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,638
    Zippy,

OMG Hoggzza :ohmy: B)

You should add the Luger pie in there too :)

Could you autograph the cookbooks for me? :laugh:
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,308
    the lugar is there, called the Gorgonzollazza :laugh: , had a better ring to it
    ·
  • You are the man, I mean Pizza Man. What a great set of videos. Thanks for posting them, it gave me several ideas for new pizzas.

ross
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,328
    Main tips I can think of are:
    1) get a space between your stone and the heat barrier
    2) Use a lot of charcoal, and get stabilized at 450 for at least 15 minutes.
    3) crank it to 550 once you get the pie on
    4) Watch it closely. It's a balancing act between getting the bottom of the crust crunchy, but not black, and the topping browned.

have fun, and let us know how it came out! Did this one yesterday. Cheers!
    Chris

Za.jpg
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • We cook pizza all the time. Generally thinner crust w. less toppings can go hotter, thick crust more toppings cook at lower temps to avoid burning crust before pie is cooked. You can use small balls of foil to give you air space between the stone and the platesetter. Have fun pizza is a great cook.
    ·