Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Hope to make my brisket better...

rossrichrossrich Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using the BGE for a couple of years now, but by no way an expert. I plan on smoking a brisket next week. I have done a few in the past, though they did not come out bad, I feel there is plenty of room for improvement. I never got the smoke ring lots of people talk about. Also, when doing a whole brisket, the point will either be under done and the flat perfect, or the point would be perfect and the flat would be overdone and dry.

1. Should I separate the point and flat and cook them independently?

2. Using grate temperature, what should my temp be for slow and low?

I'm looking at an 18 to 20 lb whole brisket. I think that should go for close to 20+ hours at about 235 Deg.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    the best info i can give you is to click here and read...sorry :(

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

but that is the best info i have found and it really helped me i hope it help you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Not an expert either, but I did a brisket for the superbowl and it was my third cook on the egg and first low and slow. It could have been luck, but the 14# whole brisket came out perfect and was the hit of the party. I did not separate and found that despite the fact there was a small difference in internal temp, they were both moist and tasty! I didn't use anything but the dome temp and a therma pen...I held it at 250 and it took 20 hours for my 14.5#er pulling at 185 and wrapping in foil in a hot cooler for one hour. I am assuming my grate temp was probably around 230...

Can't wait to do my next brisket as its been a few weeks...