Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not 3-1-1 Ribs...Are you kidding?

Options
Bluecrab3
Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I begin, I know the value of 3-1-1 ribs, and I know how much they are loved on The Forum. That being said, here is my method of cooking ribs. It took me a year to perfect it (pre-egg, on Weber Kettle), and it is a no-glitz, easy, and fast way to cook the ribs. There are never any complaints; they are predictable, and take only 1.5 to 2 hours of cooking time from start to finish....For purists, I understand these ribs do not have a smoke ring and probably could not be served in a BBQ competition, but DARN they are good, and everyone always states they are the best ribs they have ever had. EASY, EASY to make!!! Here we go...

De-membrained and coated a slab of babybacks with JH Pecan. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours (fridge optional).
Egg065.jpg

Next step is to take half a can of beer or so, and combine it with some more rub. My 5 year old was my trusty assistant:

Egg049.jpg

Next step is to sear both sides....just carmelize to your liking...I don't worry about the bone side too much--just a couple of mins on that side.
Egg051.jpg
Egg052.jpg

Now, I pull the ribs off of the grill and foil them with the beer as a steam bath...

Egg055.jpg

And onto a 300 degree direct-heat egg....

Egg057.jpg

Hour and 15 minutes later, off it goes for a bath in Bones and Beans BBQ sauce over now indirect heat...
Egg059.jpg
Egg060.jpg
Egg061.jpg

15 minutes at 225 indirect (can go longer if you need to or want to add more sauce).

Egg062.jpg

Results...happy eggin'!
Egg064.jpg

Comments

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    They look great. For what it's worth, I have never done 3-1-1. I cannot imagine ribs better than the way I do them (probably the same way you feel about yours). I cook for 5 hours at 250. I just can't bring myself to add work to the cook (foiling) when my ribs could not be more "fall off the bone" without falling off the bone.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    That has got to be the most sacreligious thing i have ever heard spoken against the BGE Rib Gods! How dare you have a method that is not approved by the governing body. LOL!

good looking pig parts you got there. I am not a foiler, wrapper, spritzer, massager, worrier type of guy either.

keep up the good work......
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    I like to mess with my food while it is cooking, therefore I like the 3-1-1 method! Probably flashbacks to my pre-adolescent ADD days. That's what is great about the Egg. There's not just one way to "git 'er done"!

Slick
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Grumps wrote:
    They look great. For what it's worth, I have never done 3-1-1. I cannot imagine ribs better than the way I do them (probably the same way you feel about yours). I cook for 5 hours at 250. I just can't bring myself to add work to the cook (foiling) when my ribs could not be more "fall off the bone" without falling off the bone.

I'm with Grumps....the best part of the egg is that I don't have to mess with anything. Kick back, enjoy a beverage, etc. Yesterday I had my ET73 monitoring my wings while I was hanging light fixtures....there it sat at 250 for 75 minutes, went out to open up the vents to 400 for 20 more minutes and done!

fc
  • gtalvola
    Options
    I usually just do 5-6 hours at 250 indirect with an occasional spritz of apple juice. My ribs have always come out great.

For my Super Bowl party I tried the 3-1-1 method and it was great too, but I honestly couldn't tell any difference in flavor or texture. I'm going back to the easy method.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Gonna give your method a shot next time, Bc3! I'm like most. 4-5 hrs at 225-250, an occasional spritz, sauced for 20 mins at 300 and chow time. don't foil. Like anything that cuts time by 75% w/o sacrificing anything. Of course if this is some evil plot to subvert our tried and true, traditions., I'll be giving you some "you know what".
  • Todt
    Todt Posts: 46
    Options
    Those ribs look awesome, I bet they are great.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    gtalvola wrote:
    I usually just do 5-6 hours at 250 indirect with an occasional spritz of apple juice. My ribs have always come out great.

And we like 3-3 1/2 hours at 250, direct, using a rib rack to hold them on edge, flipping over 180 degrees every hour and spritzing with apple juice.

Tried indirect once but it took so gosh darned long we were starving by the time they were done (anticipation turned into much impatience and crankiness).
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • low-n-slow
    Options
    I'll definetely try that recipe next time, looks delicious. You better make sure the coffee is flowing in the morning after your all night smoking extravaganza. May the best egger win.
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    DryFly....give it a shot!!! A year of research in my test kettle for you!! :laugh:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    What is your methood Grumps
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    Very simple.

1. Remove membrane.
    2. Rub with olive oil.
    3. Apply rub generously (DP Red Eye Express if my favorite. I usually do not plan ahead very will so the ribs are usually on the Egg within an hour of stripping membrane.
    4. Put the ribs on at 250 for babybacks and 275 if spares - indirect. (I have converted to liking spareribs best for the past year)
    5. After 4 1/2 hours I open the lid for the first time to sauce (there is no substitute I have found for Blues Hog sauce)
    6. Close lid and reopen in 20-30 minutes to find perfectly cooked ribs (usually, but if they do not start to break when you pick them up in the middle with tongs THEY ARE NOT DONE, so cook them longer)

One of the best lessons I have learned on this site is: IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO OVERCOOK RIBS, so do not undercook them.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Thanks, Sounds good. I have seen several recipes for ribs and they all look good. My very first cook was this weekend with a Boston Butt. Turned out perfect. I hope to try ribs this weekend. Like you I hate to create work. I am going to sound like the newbie that I am now, where is the recipe for the 3 1 1 ribs?