Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now you all know I dony know squat about fish in general, but we just picked up some scallops for Sally...can you give your advice/preferences times and temps so I dont screw em up the very first time I ever cook them. We have all the dizzy rubs except Raging river ( which is on it`s way ) so my options for flavoring are endless....Smoke/no smoke..bacon/no bacon...you get the idea, I`m just clueless what to do....Thanks in advance..[p]Wess

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I've tried the bacon-wrap deal a couple times, Wess. While they are pretty darn good, I can't seem to get the consistency of the bacon the way I like it (real crispy). My favorite way to do the scallops is sprinkle with favorite rub and sear 'em real quick at ~500° 2-3 mins a side. The large sea scallops I use fit fairly well right on the grid without falling through. If you have smaller ones, use a grill wok or some such utensil. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Give Sally a hug for me!![p]Jim
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    larry-and-sallyb-crop.png
    <p />WessB,[p]I've done the bacon-wrapped ones numerous times and while the bacon is a challenge, I'm still trying 'cause they are pretty darn good that way. If you have the PDF version of Wise One's BGE cookbook, look them up there. Wise One lists 2 versions...I usually do the second one where you marinate in lemon juice or wine for 30 minutes, wrap with bacon, sprinkle or dip in rup on both sides....has always been very good. Only thing I might try is precooking the bacon a little bit so it crisps up more when it goes in the egg. I use a fish grill (looks almost like a baking sheet with a bunch of holes in it) and it works pretty well.[p]Say hi to Sally for me and you guys have a great day![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]BTW, here's a pic of your honey and my honey spending some quality time together...!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    essence-scallops.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]Oh, and here's a pic of the last batch of scallops I did....
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    They're really easy. Make a marinade of fresh lime juice, olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, salt and pepper (this is my basic seafood marinade - you can add other ingredients if you want to). Marinate the scallops for thirty minutes. Put them on wooden skewers and grill them for about ten minutes at 350-400. I usually grill them until they're slightly charred on the outside. I like them with the insides slightly raw.[p]You can also do them without skewers on one of those metal vegetable baskets. I did some shrimp on mine last weeek, and they cooked very quickly (about 2-3 minutes).
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WessB,
    Sally decided on the second method from WiseOnes book, Qbabe, she said to give you a Thanks for pointing it out....I asked her after she ate them how they were...she said hands down the best scallops she has ever eaten...
    So..Thanks to all that posted we may try some of the others next time.[p]Wess

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Try using strips of Proscuito instead of bacon. You'll get the same great flavor.....but it crisps up much quicker!![p]Never has failed me!![p]Chubby[p]PS....thoes scallops look great!! Do you ship overnight?

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!