Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PRIME RIB ROAST?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ANY GOOD RECOMENDATIONS FOR A PRIME RIB ROAST?
I AM LOOKING FOR SOME TEMP. AND TIME HELP.
THIS IS A 6.5 LBS ROAST.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP.
EGG-O-NATOR

Comments

• Egg-o-nator,
    recently did one about that size on the egg. . first, i rubbed it heavily with kosher salt, ground pepper and herbs de provence (would have used heavy garlic but the wife's allergic). . .heated the egg up to 500 and put it directly on the grid, over a drip pan. . .immediately closed down the vents until i had steady 325 degrees. . took a little over two hours to get to 140 internal. .. the time in at 500 degrees sealed it beautifully, and it was delicious. . [p]this one worked well for me. ...i would say coat it in whatever suits your tastes. . .i'm sure someone here on the forum will weigh in with the salt crust method (i haven't tried that one yet), and i'm sure things like dizzy pig cow lick would be superb as well . . [p]good luck[p]max

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Egg-o-nator,
    You can always treat the egg like an oven for roasting meat. So, cook the roast just like you would in the oven. You can get fancy with rubs and smoke, etc. but if you are just interested in times and temps, let your experience at roasting meat in an oven be your guide. I did one last New Years Day using that philosophy and it turned out great. Good luck. Prime rib on the egg is wonderful![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    NW is absolutely correct,and i failed to mention that in my response. . .my method (start at 500, then drop to 325) is exactly the way i used to do it indoors as well. . .just tastes a whole lot better on the egg. . .