Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Ribs

Ric McN
Ric McN Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to the store tonight to buy baby back ribs. They were sold out but did have St. Louis style ribs. What's the best way to cook these bad boys on the BGE. Indirect, direct, temp?

Comments

• Ric McN,
    I just did some recently. I rubbed 'em with Ken Stone's (BlueSmoke on the forum) Gilded Splinters the night before, and smoked low-n-slow at 225-250 for about 4.5 hours, indirect. The internal temperature ranged between 185 and 195, depending on where I poked the thermometer in. I used some of Ken's Big Chief sauce for dipping (am I starting to sound like a Ken Stone advertisement?) and they were fantastic.[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    jslots-ribs-crop.png
    <p />Ric McN,[p]Lately, we've been following JSlot's method for spares and they have been OUTSTANDING! I'll try to get the link to work, but if it doesn't, they are in the recipe section here on this site, in the Pork section.....[p]Jim did them at Eggfest and they were killer good! Here's a pic of them for y'all....[p]Funny you should mention St. Louis Style spares. They were on sale at Publix here for $1.99/lb right before Eggfest so we got a whole bunch and put them in the freezer. Just pulled some out last night and have them all spiced up with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom rub waiting to go on the cooker later today. MMMMmmmmmm! Can't wait.

[ul][li]JSlot's Rib Recipe[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    jslot%27s-ribs-crop.png
    <p />Ok, that didn't work...guess I need more coffee! Let's try again.....[p]QB
    :~)[p]

• Those look great QBabe....Hope mine turn out half that good.
  • Thanks, I'll give it a try. Going to feed my horses and fire up the egg before the dew burns off the grass. Ah, summertime in the deep south.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Glad you liked the ribs, Tonia! Here's a money saving tip the next time you buy. If you have a Sam's club nearby, go in and ask for the case price. Lately, the ribs on display have been running around $1.85/lb. The case price usually runs around $1.65. Cases usually run 30-35 pounds and include 3 cryovac packs of 3 slabs each. Tell Mr. Hyde howdy for me![p]Jim
  • JSlot,[p]O.K., I figured out the Webber 18 1/2 inch grill over the firebox thing myself (yes, I was so proud) :-), but I don't get the pizza stone on top. All I can think of is more even heat radiation. What's the difference with/without? Since the drip pan is right on top of the Webber grill I'm not sure the stone makes a difference, but then again I'm just starting out on this journey. Thanks for the help.