Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cobia Filets on the way home

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just talked to the folks, they're on their way home from their boat in Florida today and have a couple of Cobia in the cooler for me. Cobia are running now and this seasons haul produced a 68 pounder, a 54 pounder, and a couple of smaller ones. BTW, Cobia is a fish for the landlubbers of the group. Not trying to insult anyones intelligence at all but there are a million names for this fish, Ling, Crab Crackers, Cobia, and a few others, maybe the Gulf folks here could help us out, they look like a large channel catfish. GREAT eating and it will be about 24 hours out of the water by the time I get it, cant get much fresher than that. Still planning on what to do with it, I'll keep you informed.[p]Troy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Sargentfish is another name they list. Book says cooks similarly to swordfish. Also says "This is a good eating fish that is not fished commercially. If you see some, and the fish is firm, pearly white, and sweet smelling, grab it."[p]Sounds like you done good. Let us know how you cook it, and when I can expect my delivery![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Link below. I came across several recipes online as well. Just do a search.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]The Cobia[/ul]
  • sprinter
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Great article, thanks. If you've never fished for them, its quite an experience. Youdon,t have lines out all the time, you literally troll and look for them swimming. They typically swim just below the surface, sometimes single, sometimes in small to large groups. When you see them you motor over to them and cast at the fish with what ever teh chosen bait is. Hours of endless searching interrupted (hopefully) by about 10 minutes of sheer panic and activity, then the inevitable 45 minute battle, hopefully the angler wins. Very elusive fish but wonderful sport fish and wonderful eats for the successful fisherman. Thanks again, makes me sad that I missed fishing this year but the broken hand and work just did not coincide with spawning season this year.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yep, cooks like a steak, very firm. "pearly white, and sweet smelling".....damn, I wish that they'd drive faster, I'm hungry.[p]Troy
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    sprinter,[p] I know how it goes. Went diving in Mexico a couple months back and we fished off the back of the dive boat. Unfortunately, I had shoulder surgery several months before and I was barely able to get a little baby tuna on board (30 lbs or so). Everyone else was catching great big wahoo :-(.[p]MikeO
  • sprinter
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Stop it now, you're going to make me tell fish stories, only this one AINT. We were cobia fishing in the gulf years ago and stopped for a bit to eat lunch. We dropped some lines with some bait on them, chouffers I think. Anyway, about half way through my ham sammich one of the reels spools off about 200 yards of line and circled the boat, tangling all of teh other downed lines with it. We got the line with some gloves and pulled in the fish hand over hand. Sounds like the old man and the sea but as God is my witness, this happened. We gaffed a 97 pound Wahoo, Louisiana record I think was just over a hundred pounds at the time. I have pictures if you're in disbelief. It measured just over 6 feet from nose to tail. I think it must have been sick, thats a big fish to take in by hand but it honestly happened, sick fish or not.[p]Troy
  • Grillin' Bill
    Options
    sprinter,
    Its one of my favorite all time fish. Use to eat it anytime I could get it in Charleston, S.C. I tend to cook it like Mahi Mahi. Great f;avor, you don't need to do much to grill it. I'd make a basting sauce of Butter, Garlic (squeezed), Lemon Juice, and dash of Worstershire sauce and maybe a dash of white wine. I'll send you a new recipe I made up that you might find interesting via e-mail (spicy creole italian). Your one lucky person to be eating fresh Cobia.

• sprinter
    Options
    Grillin Bill,[p]Recipe would be much appreciated.[p]The only thing that could make the eatin' better is if I'd have hooked 'em myself.[p]Thanks,[p]Troy
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Wow, what memories. I fished cobia with my Dad about 30 years ago when I was like seven years old. I did not get to pull them in (obviously), but I was on the boat and got to fish for some smaller game fish. I do remember cobia being absolutely wonderful eating. Do let us know how you cook it on the egg.[p]Fritz