Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new record for me.....

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put 4 butts on the egg with a total weight of a little over 30 pounds. A VERY tight fit. Used an inverted plate setter set up with all 4 of those babies on one cooking grid. Plan on maintaining a dome temp of around 250* for the entire cook. It will be interesting to see what the total cooking time ends up being. The last time I attempted a large volume cook was 2 years ago with 3 butts at 24 total pounds and it took nearly 25 hours. Used my standard rub posted by Elder Ward. Looking forward to some good eats tomorrow.

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Bob,
    Unless you've got a big crowd coming, I'd say with 30 pounds, you'll have good eats for more than just tomorrow. Pics maybe? Interesting to see/hear of the times.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Bob,[p]I had that problem before..the tight fit..and I can assure you it can be done..but one must be careful...[p]I was bout 14 years old..and earlier that day poppa had cleaned out the pool filter (we had an above ground pool for bout 2 years..till my brother done wrecked it puttin on a stunt show...man alive..he may just have the hardest cranium known to man).[p]For some reason, when poppa was done cleanin that pool filter out..he left this pile of fine charcoal out on the grass...and for some other reason..I decided to put it in an old metal milkin pail..little did I know that this would be the first step in a series of bizzare cirumstances..culminating in yet another embarrasing moment.[p]I truly don't know what got into me that day..but when my friend from the farm across the street came over to ask me if'n I wanted to go to a rock fight down at the old sandpit..for some reason..known only to the gods in heaven..I picked up that bucket of fine ground charcoal, and off we went. We was well into that there rock fight..both of us managing to remain unscathed..while also inflicting some serious damage on the other team (This was an amazing feat...especially if'n you consider my massive cranium..the odds were completely against me..matter of fact...later on in life...I would need years of therapy ..simply because I was always last to be picked for dodgeball teams in junior high..oh..yeah..and then there were the class pictures..good god...you would think that if'n god was passin out large craniums..theyd find somebody tall to give it to...buuuuut..noooooo...they gotta give it to the shortest in the class...I suppose like momma says..on some level it made sense...I mean since there was some balance issues..the shorter the distance that gaint cranium had the fall the better off the owner of this huge orb..would be..but still the photographer never knew what to do with me..and usually they'd put me in the back row..when you'd finally get the picture..you wouldn't see nothing of me to speak of..and sure enough..without fail.. the person in front of me would look like he coulda used some trimmin on his armpits in a big way).[p]So there we was..when I got the call..and I aint talkin bou any of them there cell phones..I'm talking a call from mother nature..and it wasn't the...that's fine I'm a boy any tree'll do kinda call..it was more like the .."Hello this is mother nature and you should be sittin down to hear this" kinda call. And It was amazing how fast things happened..I started to feel a slight pressure..and even though I only got through the fifth grade so far (momma says they let you keep on tryin )..my mind did some serious calculating..and the things that came into play is... the amount of pressure . how fast I can run..and the distance back the house. [p]I immediately knew..I was in trouble (why couldn't those crazy math tests use examples like this..instead of those.."If a train leaves Baltimore at 2:00 and drives 50 miles an hour..." jeeze..do I need that in the world..nope..but take this particular..case..and there my friends.. is a real life situation..and one I surely could get a A+ on). I quickly told my friend the situation..and quickly lookin around..both spied this milkin pail at the same time..filled with charcoal dust. Wasting no time..I quickly grabbed that bucket..got undressed...now I should point out that this was not the biggest bucket I've ever seen..and in comparison to what it was now required to contain..seems woefully inadequate. I dropped the weight on my entire body in there...and.. I seen both my legs shoot straight up into the air..as my backside wedged deeper into the pail..screeching to a halt...comepletely covering the entire opening with a combination of things which I dare not describe.[p]At that exact moment..there came..such a loud noise..from deep inside this pail..that immediately informed me that perhaps the bucket acrobats was not entirely necessary. The problem was..that although I felt a slight bit of relief..i looked down..right where my legs were sticking straight out the tope of that pail..and I felt the pressure...apparently..all that which is the StumpBaby..had created such a clean seal..that the escaping offending item..had nowehere to go..and there was a building of incredable pressure..until..as I peered down..curious as to what would happen...there was a shifting of a certain item..so much so..and so instantly.. that next thing you know..there was a tremendous hissing sound and a powerful stream of coal dust shot out from a place I dare not describe..and hit me square in both eyes...causing me to not be able to see out of either eye.[p]I started runnin around..screaming to my friend for help..and he panicked and decided to bring me home right away..we ran all the way back home...him holding my pants in one hand..guiding a very naked..and very blind StumpBaby..all the way back to the farmhouse screamin for help. Now I can only tell you what happened next based on sound alone..cause I still couldn't see...but I can tell you I think gramma knew what I'd done..and that's when I knew gramma sure was smart....cause all I remember her sayin is...as we came up to the house...my friend guidin my blind naked fool of a self.."I told yah ifn' you did that you'd go blind..now look at yah ..you fool..should listened"[p]Now when you talk about tight fits..I'd have to say there ain't nothin tighter than a StumpBaby behind in a number 2 milkin pail..course momma would disagree..always claimn a cows behind at fly time is much tighter than that..but that's just momma..I ain't never heard nobody else claim that.[p]Good luck with your cook..send some pictures..cause now I can see again...[p]StumpBaby