Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Trials

ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to give tri-tip a go after sampling some at our local high end takeout market.
I had read some earlier thread here about the cut and set up for a 350° indirect and cooked about an hour before checking. I should have checked temps earlier as it was somewhat overdone. Regardless, it was very good. I would recommend pulling at 135° for medium rare, as mine was almost 165° before I checked.
If you haven't tried this cut I would heartily endorse it.
For a detailed tale check out link provided.

[ul][li]Tri-Tip Trial Run[/ul]

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    ravnhaus,[p]Looks great! I do it a little differently -- I trim off all of the fat. [Honestly, it is better with fat, but I am not.] I marinate it for a few hours in Worcestershire sauce and season salt. [p]Get the Egg up to 500. I don't use an elevated grid. Slap the meat on for three minutes at 500, turn it and sear for another three minutes.[p]Then, bring it back down to 350 for another half hour or so. The trick [which I have not reliably mastered] is to take it off at 135, as you've said. Slice thin across the grain.[p]This recipe originated in Santa Maria, California. You serve it with pico de gallo salsa and little garlicky pinto beans and hot crusty sourdough and cheap red wine and iceberg lettuce salad.[p]Better yet, this is best eaten in a parking lot off of floppy paper plates, juice dripping on your jeans. The Santa Maria Rotary and Kiwanis and so forth cook tri-tip at lunch time in shopping centers on weekends, on these open pit oak smokers -- the smoke drifts across the street,
    calling you in.[p][The Egg makes better tri-tip, though. Moister!]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    ravnhaus,
    I, too, recently tried a tri-tip from HEB. I cooked as per Joel, (the PHI BETA CAPPA of Egging), Furman's instructions and the results were beautifully medium rare. Unfortunately, mine had virtually no fat cap like I saw on yours, so the cut was much more chewy than I had desired. However, it was great sliced thin on a big salad. [p]I'm sure I'll try again. Incidentally, I had to look at several San Antonio HEB's before I found it.[p]Have a great weekend.[p]LR

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    ravnhaus,
    I cook these babies a lot. I have to buy them by the case a my Dillons store and divide them up among my buddies. I cook/smoke them (average weight 3 lbs) @ 250-275 for 5 hours frozen or 4 hours thawed. I usually put them on when I go back to work at noon.I use Ozark Oak lump. They are great. Every time. tstick

• If you want a treat, try a CAB tri-tip. The last one that I did was CAB, and it was almost as tender as tenderloin.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    tstick,[p]This sounds great! Is that direct or indirect? Do you trim the fat or not?[p]Always ready to try something new!