Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cotronics and 3M adhesive spray

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok before everyone gets too ticked I am not trying to start another gasket debate thread. I have a L and XL and gaskets died of natural causes some time ago. I purchased a roll of the cotronics material over a year ago with the intent of installing it and never got around to it as I never purchased any adhesive. Just curious if anyone has used the 3M spray adhesive that the Mothership recommends for the Nomex gasket with the cotronics material.

Comments

• Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I have the coltronics and love it. I have never heard of anyone using the 3m adhesive. Let us know how it works. If you are like me you will have plenty of gasket material left. :laugh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Haven't tried it but I would be interested in the performance of the cotonics material. Just googled and it certainly will take the temps. Can't really tell from the photos but the material looks pretty thin - I wonder if you will need to make some adjustments due to the thickness of the material to achieve a good seal. Was also wondering why you decided to go in this direction. I would think the 3M 77 would do just fine. Good luck with it and would appreciate feedback on the performance.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I highly recommend using a 600-700* RTV Silicone gasket adhesive/gasket maker such as Permatex or similar. Available at any auto parts store.

It is in a tube like toothpaste, very easy to work with, and adheres much, much better than Super 77 for about half the cost.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    The material is approx. the same thickness as the bge gasket. I have had mine on for about 2 months. I use the egg almost daily and have had no problems what so ever. The install was easy, except the cleaning the old gasket part. I took the egg to 1000 degs for an hour about 30 mins after installation. The gasket just laughed and said , "please sir may I have another?" :woohoo:
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    I bought the cotronics material over a year ago when it was all the rage around here and before BGE came out with the nomex gasket. I just never got around to putting it on. The material is actually thicker than the standard gasket. My XL has never sealed in the rear as solid as I want no matter how much I play with the adjustments on it and whether I leave the springs on or off. this led to the demise of the original gasket and I am hoping this thicker material may help reduce this issue.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Inksmyth did you buy tape or woven gasket from coltronics? Also what did you adhere it with?
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Get the woven gasket. The tape is thinner and the adhesive is not tested on a porous material like the egg. I used permatex copper silicone sealer. Rated to 600 degs. I couldn't be happier.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    I have successfully installed Cotronics Thermeez 397 (1/16" thick) on three large Eggs using Permatex Hi-temp RTV silicone. Suggest installing a strip around the top to help seal off the daisy wheel and the ceramic rain cap.

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Check your mail.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I went to the Cotronics website but I don't see prices. I guess I have to order their catalog? How much did you pay? It looks like the woven comes in different thicknesses. I guess I'd go for the 1/8 thick woven (the thicker, the better). Has anyone heard anything about food safety with the Cotronics? Are other ceramic cookers using the Cotronics as stock equipment?

Of course, I'm happy with my nomex and Super 77 installation for now. It seems to stand the heat fine and it seals well. I'm just thinking about the future if my nomex ever goes south. :blush:

I don't want to use fiberglass gaskets or glues that might emit chemicals when heated. :S
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Which gasket is everyone getting? I'm thinking the woven tape would be best without adhesive.

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/395-397.pdf

Does anyone have a ballpark cost on these?
  • Carnivor T
    Options
    given the lenght sold on Cotronics sites, does anyone have extra-lenght to sell to do a large egg ?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I was going to use Contronics until I contacted them and they told me that NONE of their gaskets are for use around any food at all. They are a Carcinogenic and only for use on commercial grade kiln ovens. Oh well....
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'll stick with my nomex. I'm sure that isn't that big of a deal and if it was just me I might try the Cotronics. But with small kids I have to err on the safe side. ;)
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    The material has many insulating uses. One of which might be insulating a kiln. The company simply told me that this material was not approved for use in the food industry. This simply means it has not been tested and approved. That doesn't necessarily mean it is harmful. It is made from the same material as the egg, ceramic, but in a different form. If there was a problem with small fibers being ingested or emitted vapors when heated, this product would not be allowed in schools, eateries, hotels, public housing, etc. Much like asbestos. There would also be large amounts of precautionary literature shipped with the product along with the proper warning symbols on the package.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Here is the MSDS sheet on Cotronics ceramic tape and cloth. It to like nomex is used in protective clothing.
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/395-397.pdf