Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

150 degrees

Options
Justin
Justin Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]My friend who has too much time on his hands has been pulling 35 lb. salmon out of the Rogue river left and right and now has too much salmon. I want to cold smoke some for him. I guess I need about 150 F. for a while. Does anyone have advice about running that low for about 10 hours? [p]Thanks for your help![p]Justin

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Justin,[p]You are going to have a hard time keeping the fire going at that low of a temp. Quite some time ago, someone posted a picture of a cold-smoking setup they made. They had attached clothes dryer vent hose to the top of the egg and ran it out to a tin foil tent setup. This routed the smoke over the food and temp was controlled by distance of the food from the Egg chimney. I have wanted to try this setup but haven't had time to do it yet. Let us know what you end up doing.[p]Jim
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Justin,[p]It's Chuck who has that picture in his profile of the dryer exhaust ducting attached to the chimney of his Mini. [p]TRex

[ul][li]Chuck's profile [/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    newegg1.jpg
    <p />TRex,[p]Oops, that didn't work, maybe this will show the picture:
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks, you beat me to it. I actually have a photo at home of it hooked up. I'll post it tonight (after the Matrix).[p]Chuck
  • Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Look forward to it. Saw the Matrix last night, it did not dissapoint at all![p]J

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    3376264723232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E23233979%3B769%3Aot1lsi
    <p />Justin, i cold smoked salmon on an oven tray with a rack on top. covered the whole thing with aluminum foil and connected an aluminum dryer hoze on one end and a small hole on the opposite end to allow the smoke to escape slowly.
    made a small fire in my medium, just enough to smolder alder wood chips.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    coldsmoke2.jpg
    <p />Justin,[p]Here is the picture I referred to in an earlier post. [p]Chuck