Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any converts from gas out there?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there,
I'm a reporter from the Wall Street Journal writing a story about anti-gas grillers. I'm looking for Eggers who've actually converted from fancy but flavorless gas grills. If you're interested in being interviewed, shoot me an email with a good time and number to reach you at.
Thanks!
pb

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    pooja,
    Heck, aren't we all?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pooja,
    ...most of us here LITERALLY use our gassers to store tools. [p]We're not anti-gas so much as pro Egg. Very Buddhist, no?
    heh heh

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    pooja,
    Aer you sure that you don't work for the Old Gray Lady? Folks at the Journal know we ALL converted our gas grills into spider habitats![p]Kip

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Hi, my name is Smokey, and I'm an eggaholic. I cooked on a gas grill for many years. Before my eggs, I bought a Weber Genysis (stainless steel job). What a wast of $$. I taste no diferent from the old char-broil it replaced.[p]The egg opened my eyes and taste buds![p]Smokey
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Not all. I'm a convert from Weber. I HAVE a small, tabletop gas grill. It's still sealed in the box.[p]Kelly

• Unknown
    Options
    pooja,
    I wasn't actually converted, I just find the BGE to be another useful tool for cooking. However, I have a large Ironworks gas grill that will easily reach 900 degrees and I generally use it for steaks, burgers, and fish. I use the egg for virtually everything else and enjoy it very much. I just try to use what I consider the right tool for the right job.[p]Should I put on my fireproof underwear now? :-)[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chuck Lane,
    I'd say an Egg was the right tool for fish and steaks. I can't imagine a gasser being any better except for the fact that you probably would have more grill space on the gasser. I don't have an opinion on burgers. My wife won't let me have one....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That was my initial response upon reading this post, but from those who posted after you, I guess not all of us are. I sure am - and I haven't touched my gas grill since getting my first egg almost a year ago.

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    There are a few foods, especially the burgers and the fish, where you have a very small window of opportunity to get them done just right without over or under cooking them. I find it much easier to watch and judge those on the grill. Although you can grill on the egg, I find it to be very poor for that purpose because you can't keep the lid open to watch the food without the charcoal getting too hot and flaming you and your food. These opinions apply only to me of course. Although I've never been wrong before COUGH COUGH HACK COUGH....I could be wrong. :-)[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    burgers on the gasser were good. .. burgers on the weber were excellent... burgers on the egg made me forget completely about the first two. ..my family feels the same way. ..

• Unknown
    Options
    pooja,[p]I've only had my egg for a week, but have already realized that unless we have a massive crowd over, the gas grill will remain permanently untouched in the corner of my patio. We gave up the charcoal grill 15 years ago due to the pretroleum based charcoal on the market. We have been using gas ever since, but knew something was lacking. The egg is just as easy to start as a gas grill, the temperature is actually easier to regulate, and the food far superior.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck Lane,[p]I use my ceramic cooker for grilling 96% of the time. The other 4% is for low-n-slows. But I usually do so many ribs or butts at a time that I don't need to do it very often. [p]Once you find out how long and what temp you will cook it (be it burgers, chicken, salmon....whatever), you don't need to check on anything. I would much rather grill on it than the old gaser.[p]But it's as you said, "These opinions apply only to me of course".[p]Kurt

• Shoosh
    Shoosh Posts: 19
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I agree with you. My wife was practically a vegan when I cooked with gas, now she wants ribs and burgers every weekend on the egg.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Amy and Steve,[p]Hey you don't need that gasser for a "massive crowd". Throw on 2 or 3 butts and a brisket and you can feed 50 people or so. I guess you could use the gasser to heat up the buns.[p]Chuck

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    pooja,
    We just bought an egg and love it!! The temp stays consistant and the flavor of the food is out of this world. We have had no problems with hamburgers. One of
    my favorites. We will never go back to a gas grill.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    pooja,
    I think The Naked Whiz said it best; we are all in some way Converts from the grass grill, and for the most part fanatical about our BGE' as well.
    I personally think it is more than converting from gas to the BGE, because when one becomes a BGE user, the BGE becomes a family member and takes on a life of it's own.
    Just my opinion!
    Hammer

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Wow I'm impressed! Being a new egger (only bought it less than 2 weeks ago), I'm still learning. You just taught me a great lesson!