Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ash tool

Options
alimog
alimog Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't had the egg for long, just got it for Christmas. I don't have an ash tool for it, but I'm going to get one. Is the Big Green Egg tool the best option, or is there something else out there that's better?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    a shop-vac works a lot better for me -- just make sure everything is cold before sucking up the ash.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Most dealers give a tool with the purchase. You may want to ask
  • alimog
    alimog Posts: 11
    Options
    I got a bundle of some sort that came with the eggmates and the nest. I was sort of surprised at no ash tool though. I just assumed that came with it.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've gathered that the ash tool with the Egg is more hit and miss. I got had to buy mine for my original Egg.

I've got a friend that used a plastic spoon. Flexible and got 'around the bend' pretty good. Just not useful for anything when the Egg is hot.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have gotten one with each egg I've bought.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Some dealers do & some don't. Ask your dealer if it should have been included.

If yes, then problem solved. If no it wasn't included, there are some good workarounds. I don't see much sense buying one.

Some folks use one side of a small window curtain rod "L" shapped.

RRP, made one out of brass, very nice, I tried to search out his post but couldn't find it. Hopefully he will see the post and put up his picture.

You could go to a local hobby store or hardware store and get some thin wide stock, aluminum, brass, steel make a bend at the end - the same idea as the curtain rod - "L" shape.

If you make one then I would make the short side of the "L" a little longer than the original ash tool.

My dealer told me to use the ash tool as a grid lifter. That worked OK but I ended up buying a 'thirdhand' from thirdeye (here on the forum). Much better than using the ash tool or the original grid lifter IMO.

GG
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have a medium and remove all the egg innards and use two plastic drywall knives. It takes very little time and completely cleans all the ash out. I also clean it before every cook.
  • honestlou
    Options
    I highly recommend the Big Green Egg ash tool. It does seem ridiculously expensive ($15.00), but mine has lasted years, in the weather, and is as good as new.

I use it for stirring and moving coals when starting a fire, as well as stirring and removing ash. I wouldn't try that with plastic. :)

I do a very thorough cleaning if I'm doing a long grill or smoke, but in my opinion it is almost never necessary to take the egg apart. For shorter cooks I simply stir around the leftover coals to get the ash and smallish chips to fall through the holes, and I remove the ash once in a blue moon with the ash tool.

One other thing: I have a large BGE and the small/medium ash tool I find to be the right size--easily reaches where necessary.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Being a tinker I made this for my large and medium eggs using this old edge guide fence for a saw. It works quite well.
    IMG_2787.jpg

Then for my small and mini I made this from strap steel and pop riveted on a rectangular piece of brass.
    IMG_0962.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I got mine with my large BGE, but only really use it to stir up the old lump before adding new. I use a shop-vac for cleaning out the ashes.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    "top picture" - new tool looks good.

Thanks for posting the picture.

GG
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Personally I'd skip it. I've used mine less than 4 times over three years. I use a shop vac for all my cleaning - just do it when the ash is cool!
  • I'm like honestlou; I really like mine.

My Large Egg is only on feet on the patio, thus low to the ground. I found that the ash tool made it easy to scrape out the ash. I know my dealer takes out the ceramic inserts to clean out his egg. I'm not that thorough.

I also like the tool for moving hot lump around. I'm very glad I got mine. (I purchased my egg at a 25% discount so I wasn't expecting anything else to be included with the purchase).