Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ash tool handle hook

glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched and read all about the various uses for the hook on the ashtool handle. I understand it was for the older lids to open it. I've seen pics of how people hang it, etc..

I did see one pic at some point on here where someone had it hooked on their mate I think and it tucked it out of the way. Anyone doing this and can explain how?

thx

Comments

• I thought the hook was just for hanging.

I do like the ash tool. I didn't think I would. It serves double duty as a hot lump repositioner right before putting on the grate.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I hook my ash tool through a hole in the mate by holding it horizontal to the hole and then sliding it in
    and it will get so far then you let it drop. Hangs
    pretty much vertical and out of the way.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    you are correct the hook is actually a throwback to the era when the BGE had scissor hinges as my small still did when I bought it a mere 8 years ago! To open you lifted with one hand and with the other hand using the tool with the hook end (or some other device) you inserted it into the "loop" in the metal on the band and straightened it out so that it would stay upright. Look closely at the back half of that old style band and you can see the loop. To close you merely collapsed the hinge by pushing near it with the L shaped end.
    IMG_0421.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.