Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 day pizza dough results and one of DH\'s hobbies

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here's a pizza with the same dough recipe I posted last week (All Trump's high gluten flour), this time I did a 4 day cold ferment and used the trick Darnoc (I think) posted to microwave the pepperoni between paper towels to eliminate some grease.

4daydough1.jpg

4daydoughslice.jpg

That's Ezzo pepperoni and some Mezzetta sliced pepperocini. We really like the flavor and texture of that Grande East Coast blend cheese!

The crust this time was less chewy, but still very good. I noticed the dough wanted to pull back a little more than the 2 day ferment version. It also rose more in the fridge but didn't collapse, so there's definitely some powerful gluten strands there. I still did not get the extra flavor that a 3 day version made with bread flour and vital gluten gave me a few weeks ago, so I might try a 6 day dough this week.

And while waiting for the dough to ferment this week, DH took this project from a couple of weeks ago:

sparging.jpg

and did this:

bottling.jpg

It's his first attempt at full grain and is a nut brown ale.

(Pretty good use of the old gasser, eh?)
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We had our 4 day ferment pizza last night. Had a crisp skin and a chewy interior. Flavor was good. Used Sir Lancelot flour, whole milk moz, and fresh tomatoe sauce. -RP
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Surprise your husband with a couple cornelius kegs, that bottle washing is for the birds. -RP
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Nice looking pie you have there.That was my tip on the micro wave process just don't over do it or it will wind up with it being to crispy.My house smells of yeast now and I have to wait till tomorrow to do my thing.Getting ready to go out and do some shroom shopping.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I did your recipe and did a 2 day ferment, had the pie last night and the crust was very good.

I also did a wheat version, swapping about 30% of the white flour with wheat flour, and added about 2 Tbsp of olive oil to compensate and keep the hydration level up. The crust was outstanding! Very good flavor and cooked up very crisp.
  • mkc
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    that bottle washing is for the birds. -RP

That's not bottle washing, that's yard art B) We just haven't heard back from our "Architecture and Landscape Committee" on whether it meets the guidelines or not. But it certainly provides entertainment for the neighbors who just shake their heads at what "the kids" are up to this time.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    I also did a wheat version, swapping about 30% of the white flour with wheat flour, and added about 2 Tbsp of olive oil to compensate and keep the hydration level up. The crust was outstanding! Very good flavor and cooked up very crisp.

We love whole grain, so I will have to try that. Did you also let it ferment for 2 days? I assume the swap out was 30% by weight? Oh, and for the olive oil, were you starting with around the 258g of flour when you added 2 tablespoons (so I can get my bakers' percentages right, it's the engineer in me :blush: )?
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • PineyWoodsBrewer
    Options
    Good to see a fellow homebrewer posting here. I've been brewing my own for several years now and still love it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The swap was 30% by weight. Roughly 200g of Sir Lancelot and the remainder in whole wheat to get to the 258g.

I added oil since the dough just wouldn't come together with the weighed water. I think whole grain bread products do much better with a little lubrication, so I went with oil instead of more water.

I did let it ferment for 2 days, but it didn't rise enough in the fridge so I had to pull it and get it in a warm spot for about an hour to get it to rise enough to use.