Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gasket bites the dust...

Options
2»

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You're starting to remind me of Michael Douglas' character in "Falling Down." CALL BGE IN ATLANTA AND ASK FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    You're starting to remind me of Michael Douglas' character in "Falling Down." CALL BGE IN ATLANTA AND ASK FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

O.K. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I THOUGHT THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM WAS TO DISCUSS BIG GREEN EGGS, PROS, CONS, LIKES, DISLIKES, VICTORIES, FAILURES, LOVES, HATES...MY BAD. WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DISCUSS?

(isn't it annoying when people type in all caps? Kind of like type yelling :S )
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    As reiterated above, the usual recommendation for gasket issues has been to get a Nomex gasket, and apply it with 3M Super77 using good technique that avoids dirty application surfaces, gasket stretching, or overspray.

We've seen occasional references to other high-temp gasketing material and alternative adhesives, but that pair is the Conventional Wisdom here.

I'm wondering if anybody has in fact applied a Nomex gasket with the Super 77 adhesive, and STILL had that replacement gasket fail?

If there is no such counterexample, have we arrived at a definitive solution?

I'm not looking so much for a chorus of, "yes, Nomex with Super77 worked OK for me," but rather for the exceptions. Did it not work for anybody that actually tried it?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    As you know from reading the past posts and above there was a run of bad adhesive on the gaskets.

Products of all types have problems and the egg is no exception. Fortunately for us BGE goes the extra mile to help the users out.

If you don't want or think you should have to fix the gasket contact your dealer and BGE Service and go from there.

If you want to get a gasket back on and use your egg the forum is a good place to come.

It is fortunate you pulled off the remaining gasket when your egg was hot. That will make cleaning the surfaces with acetone or alcohol a lot easier and should take less that 5 minutes. Make sure you work in short sections at a time.

The above mention video is a good reference but there are some things said I sure wouldn't follow.

The video shows sanding wheels etc... 2 years ago when I talked with BGE about cleaning the gasket I was specifically told not to use any power tools, sharp scrapers, sandpaper or the such as that will void the warranty.

I don't think there has been one reported failure from folks that have used Non Adhesive Nomex and 3M 77.

I don't think BGE makes the gasket material the use and the majority of posts seem to be from a 'bad batch' of adhesive that was supplied to them.

If you read the past posts you should have also read the Nomex/3M fix resolved the problems.

I understand the frustration you have - I have been there too.

This thread got more personal than trying to resolve a problem and hence, a little sharp in some of the posts.

The folk on the forum are more than happy to help you out, if you want the help.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have watched the gasket problem posts pretty carefully and as I stated in my post below, I don't think I have read one single failure post of anyone who has used non adhesive Nomex and 3M Super 77.

Good post and I too would like to hear if there has been any failures with that combination.

I have read failure with Nomex w/adhesive and 3M 77. However, when those folks have removed the adhesive strip then re-applied the 3M 77 - again no failure that I can remember reading.

Thanks for the post Dave. Your search might well ought to have its own thread.

GG
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Seeing as how I will need to replace my gasket in the near future I have been following the gasket threads closely, and I can not recall a Nomex gasket without adhesive that was applied with 3M 77 failing.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

IMPORTANT - (2/19/09) LATEST TESTING SHOWS THAT PUTTING THE SPRAY ADHESIVE ON BOTH SURFACES (EGG AND GASKET , INSTEAD OF JUST TO ONE SURFACE AS WE DID IN THE VIDEO) WILL YIELD MUCH BETTER ADHESION AND SATISFACTION!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Caps lock stuck?

I bleieve the instructions on the can also say the same thing.

I appreciate and enjoy Fred's videos, and some parts have great information. Also, some of the stuff just isn't correct.

Cleaning an old gasket off on a large egg takes about 15 minutes. According to BGE - no sanders, grinders or anything that will dig into the ceramic.

Have no idea why they want to offset the gasket to the outside of the egg. All the offset is going to do is leave a small air gap where the ceramic protects the gasket with some diffusion of heat.

Spreading the acetone around like the helper did doesn't work well at all and probably the reason it takes so long to clean the egg.

Anyway, just a comment.

GG
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nooooooooooo . . . just a cut and paste from site!

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/474.htm
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    Maybe. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems with spraying only the egg and not the gasket. Spraying both might be better, but it also sounds like a major hassle. I'm not sure how you would handle the sprayed and sticky gasket when you are applying it to the egg.
  • Pitmaster
    Options
    Damn, LoveHandles. I wish I had you for my dealer. My dealer wanted me to pay for a new one and go to the store so he could show me how to install it.