Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried Jerk fish?

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy. I have some Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk burning a hole in my cupboard, but I'm craving fish as well. Heading to the monger this afternoon - has anyone tried jerk fish who can recommend a species? Salmon is generally my favorite, but I imagine catfish might be good jerked. Any other thoughts? Thanks.[p]cornbread

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Did some kitty fish just the other night. Yummy is all I can say.[p]Had some on my eggs this morning in place of pepper. Now ther's somethin ya need to try fellow eggers.[p]Mick

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    shark%20steak%20and%20zuccinni.jpg
    <p />Cornbread Willy, This is Raging River Black Shark and zuccinni. I think the Firewalk would eggcellent also. Let us know.[p]
    CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I just did some scallops last night with the stuff, and it was mighty good! [p]I know I am too late, but I am thinking mahi mahi, monkfish or alaskan halibut! What did you have to select from? What did you pick? How was it?[p]Cheers,dude!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    my 9 year old son LOVED salmon with a healthy dose of jamaican firewalk on it. . .when we tested the dizzy rubs on salmon, he preferred that to tsunami spin or raging river. . .[p]

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Cornbread Willy,[p]Hmmm...jerked fish...[p]I asked momma if'n she'd ever jerked fish and she said no but grampa used to do it all the time. That's when gramma busted out with some real serious guffaw belly laughin like you read about. Sometimes I think I'll never understand women folk..seems they laugh at somethin what ain't even funny most of the time. I decided I better ask poppa bout that jerked fish and why grampa don't jerk it no more. When I asked poppa he laughed a little bit and then he tol me the whole story...[p]Seems that grampa was a real good fisherman...poppa said he used to catch some special fish down at the creek, they was some kinda trout with only one eye. I asked poppa why I ain't never seen a one eyed fish, and he said he thinks gramma likes that fish so much, that grampa keeps em just for her. I think poppa was real happy for gramma..cause when he told me that..he was smilin from ear to ear. I asked poppa if'n gramma liked that fish jerked, and he said he thought gramma probably liked that fish served up any way. I told poppa that must be some great fish..if'n gramma liked it served up any old way....and..poppa said at her age she's prolly just glad she can have fish like that. I tol poppa sometimes gettin old sounds real bad, and he said maybe not if'n your grampa...and he sure laughed for a long time over that.[p]Anyway, poppa told me that grampa loved that jerk fish so much, sometimes he don't wanna share with nobody. Matter of fact one day gramma went down to the creek to surprise grampa and she found him down at the creek jerkin that fish..all by himself. Poppa said gramma was so mad at that she came stormin back to the farmhouse...screamin swear words at the top of her lungs..neck veins poppin out..and spit flyin everywhere. Poppa said he ain't never seen gramma so mad...when grampa came back she told em she ain't never gonna have his fish again. I told poppa that musta sure hurt grampa..him bein such a good fisherman and all..havin folks that don't want his fish no more.[p]
    StumpBaby[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Last night I cooked Salmon slathered in mayonnaise and covered with Raging River Rub.It was the best fish I have ever had.Thanks Chris & Mike for great rubs.
    Larry

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Try it on some Tilapia, had it last night it was great. We also had jerk tilapia in Jamaica.[p]Enjoy!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    YB,
    Wow! Best ever? That's pretty damn good! Thank YOU for having the confidence to sprinkle our rubs on your meal, and for the report![p]Mayonnaise, eh? Hmm. Sounds intriguing. How does it contribute to the product? Does it help with the crusting? I guess it aids a bit to prevent sticking too, sinse since it has oil in it. [p]Sounds like something to try!
    Thanks Larry
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The mayonnasie keeps the fish moist and from sticking.It also keeps the rub on the fish.I have been doing this for a couple of years and it works and you do not taste the mayonnaise.Give it a try Chris.
    Larry

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]check the recipe board. there is an excellent jerked grouper recipe. I've tried it a couple of times. Might have to go again soon.