Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Concrete Counter fit for an Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• WileECoyote
    Options
    Really nice table top, tremendous DIY effort here. I like the look of it and the design is great, especially the base which has the air vents and the hole to dump ash.

My only concern would be durability. I have seen a lot of outdoor concrete products: tables, chairs, railings, garden stones, markers, signs, you name it. No matter how well they are made and how often they are cleaned and sealed they always seem to develop cracks eventually, sometimes in just a few years. I would expect the table top to crack even sooner due to all the heating and cooling cycles it will go through. Any moisture in the concrete will cause it to expand or crack when heated so make sure to seal it well and keep it as dry as possible especially when cooking at high temps or long times.

A secondary concern would be weight. That is one heavy table which would be hard to move and thus damage is more likely during a move.

I had contemplated a concrete table top, then wood, stainless steel, marble, granite, etc. but in the end I went with a thick plywood base followed by cement backer board, tile cement, and then large ceramic tile sealed with acrylic latex grout. This resulted in a pretty thick, strong, and durable table with a stone finish but less worry of cracking and virtually no maintenance. Not as heavy to move and still virtually waterproof. Been using it over a year now and it is great. I have set a super hot platesetter on it, hot grills, dishes, food, water, etc. and it hasn't cracked or even scuffed. Quick and easy to wipe down with a sponge and if a tile ever does crack then it should be fairly easy to replace (I have a few extras just in case). The project wasn't cheap but then I had to build the entire table from scratch and I installed a lot of extras: enclosed shelves with vinyl siding exterior, stainless sliding door tracks, battery powered LED lights and BBQ Guru with solar charger, stainless grab handles and accessory hooks, etc.

front.jpg
    digiq5.jpg
    digiq4.jpg

Any table that you spend a lot of time on is bound to be a good table and this concrete one is no exception. Make sure to send a photo to TNW so he can post it in his table gallery.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    civil eggineer wrote:
    ... less then a 1/4" thick but are made with highly specialized concrete, modifiers, plasticizers, and special aggregates. They are more chemical then concrete.

Sounds kinda like that burger I had last week at McDonalds....
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    Thanks WileE, I like your table too. You put a lot a work into that. I'm hoping that cracking won't occur but that's the nature of the beast. I'm thinking of doing tile like yours on the bottom shelf of my table, that's another day.

Take care,
    cc
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    No problem. Just call that company instead. He had a few of the single speed units that he was unloading since he only carries variable speed now.

I special orderd the Quikrete Countertop Mix from Home Depot. If you go to Quikrete website they have a calculator there to figure out how many bags you'll need. My table was 33" x 60" x 2" and took 3.5 bags.

CC
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    Too funny! If you're talking about the frog, I found him local. I'm all French so frogs have become my thing too, I also have them all around the house. I even have one that I take on trips and he gets his photo taken in different places. :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments. Folks here have helped me out a lot over the years. If I can help back then it's all worth it.

CC
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    That turned out great! I really really like the stone for the egg and the top looks gorgeous. Let us know if you ever get around to doing your kitchen counter top. I'd love to see it!