Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gasket bites the dust...

Options
GulfCoastBBQ
GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I just bought a new Large egg and on my 3rd cook the top and bottom gaskets just pulled/fell completely off. As it was hanging there I grabbed it with my tongs and pulled it the rest of the way off and there was nearly zero resistance. Obviously the adhesive didn't do its job.

It came with some replacement gasket material but if it is just going to fall off every 2 or 3 uses I am going to need another answer. For such a high quality product this sure seems to be a real weak spot that needs to be addressed. Any advice?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Buy some 3M Supr 77 adhesive spray (Walmart, home Centers, etc.) and re-attach. Follow directions on can and protect from overspray.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you took the time to read the other similar threads you would know that simply calling the Atlanta retail store would get you the new Nomex Gasket.

That and 3M77 Super Glue - Problem solved..
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    FWIW, the gasket issue has been resolved, however, there were apparently dozens(or more)eggs that were shipped to the distributors and then to dealers with the defective adhesive. Unfortunately, those eggs continue to surface as time wears on. You can follow civil engineer's advice if the cellophane backing completely separated from the gasket material during the cook. If not call the mothership in Atlanta and request a nomex gasket sans adhesive and apply with the 3M Super 77. Mark

Please feel free to email me if you want more information. Mark
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    My gasket died long ago of "natural causes" and I have been cooking with just the remnants with no problems. I will get around to replacing it one of these days.

Is the Nomex gasket similar to the fiberglass gasket that caused some concern previously? What is Nomex made of?

Thanks!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Nomex is the same material used by Fire Fighters in their turn-out gear..

It is not fiberglass.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You can put the felt one back on with 3M 77 but you will eventually be replacing it so why not do it once.

Do what CW says - call the mothership and get a nomex without adhesive. Put it on with the 3M 77 and be done with it. Have had one on my XL for well over a year with no problems.

Watch Freds video and keep the following in mind. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm

Don't spread the acetone out as much as he does - it evaporates fast - you won't have a lot of crust to clean up.
    Don't stretch the gasket as it goes on
    Align the edge of the gasket with the ID of the base/dome
    Spray the adhesive into a cup or can and apply with a throw away brush

Meanwhile - keep grillin without a gasket
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks CW! I did several searches on this forum and I didn't find anything about the material used in Nomex.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    If you want to know more, just Google "Nomex."
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    The felt gasket is not the problem, it is the sorry adhesive that was used on the recent run of BGE's
    Replaced mine with the Nomex just to be safe used the 2M Super 77 glue. all is fine now. :)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I don't think anyone in this thread said the felt gasket was the problem??? It was NOT a recent run of Eggs; this problem goes back close to a year. 3M Glad your Egg is fine now.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    When my second gasket fried on the Egg, I left it alone, it has been 4 years or so and I have no more problems, well I have no more gasket either, but it works and no leaks.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    I did read several other threads about the Nomex gasket and other ideas.

Point is I have a brand new $700 grill that I have had for 3 days and I really don't think I should have to buy spray glue, tape and whatnot and spend 3 hours trying to not get glue everywhere while fixing a problem that should not have occurred on an item with a lifetime warranty. I know the gasket is not warrantied but its not like it burned up, it simply fell off, glue and all.

Imagine if you bought a new Ford and the third time you opened the door the rubber door gasket landed at your feet. You call Ford and they tell you to go to the hardware store and get some acetone, spray adhesive, masking tape and paper and glue some after market product to the door very carefully while trying not to get the messy spray adhesive all over everything. How would you feel?
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Gulfcoastbbq
    Celticwolf is right, Do this cause I had
    problems too, Call Bruce at BGE, customer
    service, He will send you new Nomex gasket
    free. clean service real good with acetone,
    don't scrape to hard, use more rags than scraping, cause you don't want to tear up the
    ceramic, after cleaned really well, meaning
    you feel smooth and no glue residue, cover
    inside part of egg, spray on 3msuper77,
    let sit for 2-3 minutes then put on gasket,
    where they meet together you can add a couple
    drops of elmers glue, Anyway you can watcvh this by going to WWW.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    This guy is funny but shows you in a video
    on how to put on a Nomex gasket. the trick is
    to turn gasket without pulling or stretching
    on it, watch him and you will learn,
    again Don't use the felt.
    BullyC
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Except this argument continues OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

Every time we tell people the same thing. Call the Retail store, get the new Nomex gasket which they seem to be GIVING away. Spend a few bucks and get the 3M Super 77 spray and your problem is solved. If spending that few bucks is an issue I'll be happy to send you the few bucks..

I have 6 eggs of my own, been to countless Eggfest, and been around others using their eggs and three times I have seen a gasket failure. One was my fault, the second was TJV's fault and the third was Bobby-Q's fault Every time we got our eggs too hot and directly exposed a new egg gasket to FLAME.

If the door seal on my car decided to pull away from my door I would bring it back to the dealer and get it fixed. IF I knew that was a potential point of failure for the start I would have checked it the first time I opened the door. However, I would look seriously at what I did to make it fail. Could I change that behavior? Could I have prevented the failure in the first place?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    When I google "nomax" your post comes up :sick:
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Except this argument continues OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

Every time we tell people the same thing. Call the Retail store, get the new Nomex gasket which they seem to be GIVING away. Spend a few bucks and get the 3M Super 77 spray and your problem is solved. If spending that few bucks is an issue I'll be happy to send you the few bucks..

I have 6 eggs of my own, been to countless Eggfest, and been around others using their eggs and three times I have seen a gasket failure. One was my fault, the second was TJV's fault and the third was Bobby-Q's fault Every time we got our eggs too hot and directly exposed a new egg gasket to FLAME.

If the door seal on my car decided to pull away from my door I would bring it back to the dealer and get it fixed. IF I knew that was a potential point of failure for the start I would have checked it the first time I opened the door. However, I would look seriously at what I did to make it fail. Could I change that behavior? Could I have prevented the failure in the first place?

you seem to be annoyed by all of the posts regarding gasket failure so why reply? Don't drive yourself crazy.

And if opening your car door caused the gasket to fail you could stop opening your car door but I don't think that would be the right solution.

The few bucks is not an issue but if you want to come to my house and do the job I will PM you my address because finding time to fix it is the issue. I didn't want to buy a project.

If the Nomex/3M adhesive is the correct solution why doesn't the BGE company do it that way in the first place instead of asking the customer to do it?

Also, are you saying that exposing the gasket to high heat causes failure? That seems crazy considering that one selling point of the BGE is its ability to achieve temps in excess of 1,000 degrees! Mine has never gone past 600. (I didn't see anything in the owners manual stating that high heat can cause the gasket to fall off or anything about breaking in the gasket with several long low temp cooks, did I miss it?)
  • LoveHandles
    Options
    I am a new BGE dealer, and every large we've sold has needed a gasket shortly after the customers have used the eggs. BGE now gives us an extra gasket with each egg we purchase for retail. If we have any customer problems early on after the person buys the egg, we go to their house and install a new gasket, either nomex or the regular one from a different batch. Call your dealer and see if you can get some service.See-Yaa
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    In the time it has taken you to read these posts and then respond to them you could have fixed your problem.

However, you wish to continue this old argument.. Could that be why I am annoyed?

Now if you live anywhere near Raleigh, NC I'll be happy to come fix it for you..

As for BGE not correcting the issue on eggs already in the retail chain.. That too has been addressed over and over.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Now that is great customer Service, My dealer said they had not heard of an issue with the gaskets or of a Nomex replacement.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Call the Retail store, get the new Nomex gasket which they seem to be GIVING away.

Well I can tell you for a fact they didn't GIVE one to me. Maybe they did and charged $24.95 shipping. :S

--Dave
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hi Gene. I guess I don't understand. If I google nomex, infomation about the product comes up. Am I missing something?
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    We all love our eggs. But it doesn't make sense to attack someone just because they make a legitimate complaint. Losing a gasket after 3 cooks is a legitimate complaint, even if it isn’t the first time the complaint has been heard. I lost my gasket after 3 cooks also. My dealer gave me a free nomex replacement (but I know that BGE charged him). Several people HAVE been charged for a replacement gasket, and that is another valid issue. I put on the nomex gasket with 3M Super 77 and everything has been wonderful ever since. That doesn’t change the fact that I shouldn’t have had to do that. That’s what GulfCoastBBQ is saying; and his complaint is legitimate. I’m a happy egger now, and hopefully GulfCoastBBQ soon will be as well. The continuing gasket issue DOES make it difficult to push BGE to my friends, and that is something I would like to do. I am still waiting for a solution to this issue, and attacking everyone who has a valid complaint isn’t going to help BGE or anyone. ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    When you google nomex, your post on BGE does not come up?
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Don't even put the replacement gasket that was supplied with your egg on. My egg is pretty new
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Make sure you google nomex not nomax
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    sshhhh. I am sending Mark on a wild goose chase. I want to see how many times he googles his own post :evil:

Sorry Mark. You can beat me up in Ocala
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You're an a**hole an I thought you were such a great guy. I guess first impressions can be misleading. :P

Gullible as ever, Mark ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    How about Ocala, did you work anything out?

p.s. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nomex+weekend+warrior&aq=f&oq=

check out the 4th link down
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    No, but I check the "D*ng" from Sout*wes*(a**hole)everyday just in case. :laugh:

Funny Gene.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    In the time it has taken you to read these posts and then respond to them you could have fixed your problem.

However, you wish to continue this old argument.. Could that be why I am annoyed?

Now if you live anywhere near Raleigh, NC I'll be happy to come fix it for you..

As for BGE not correcting the issue on eggs already in the retail chain.. That too has been addressed over and over.
    In response to your points;

I am at work and my egg is at my house so I could not have fixed it in aforementioned time frame. When I get home I have a 2 year old daughter, wife, pets, leaky pipes, broken door knobs and other things that suck up most of my free time which makes fixing a 3 day old $700 grill with a lifetime warranty frustrating.

How this becomes an "argument" is beyond me. I am expressing my frustration with a P.O.S. gasket and hoping for advice that doesn't include going to the hardware store to buy a can of spray glue and engineer my own gasket. If you are annoyed by gasket posts just don't click on them.

The dealer who I purchased the grill from has only been a dealer for a month or two and just got the grill that I purchased delivered to their store about a week ago and it was still in the box so it is not just old inventory that is having this problem.

Is there any reason to believe that the replacement gasket that came with the grill will work any better?